Indoor range target placement

colorworks99

Inactive
My local range always complains about people shooting the ceiling. I was taught to put your arm straight out, make a fist and hang the target bullseye right where your fist is on the cardboard.
Here's my question: is there a picture of the proper way to do this on the net? I'm trying to help out my range. No where is it posted how to properly tape up targets. All they do is furnished the tape and you can bring your own or buy a target.
Thanks for any help. ✌

My local indoor range has retractable target machines with the holder hanging down. Using two big binder clips, you attach your 2' x 3' target (or attached to a backer that size) and the hit the distance you want to run it from 1 yard to 25. This would make the top of the target paper itself at my eye level (6'3") with the intended target shooting are below it. Still, their ceiling is a mess. There are a lot of new shooters as well as elderly and it seems that they start pointing at COM or the X ring, but when they pull the trigger, the muzzle seems to rise before they shoot. Then you get the opposite ones where they are shooting downwards at the bottom area of the target and the bullets ricochet off the floor.

I think the issue is that when people have the target close (7 yrds) they try shooting sitting down with a rest and that is were you get people shooting at the ceiling. If the target was all the way down at the end (25 yrds) it wouldn't be a issue.

No chairs or folks sitting where I shoot; more like poor gun control management with the muzzle rising prior to shooting.

Something sure needs to be done, at least at the range I belong to. Last Saturday my brother in law, nephew and myself were shooting and we got to looking at the ceiling down range while changing targets. It's amazing how many shots have hit the ceiling. As we walked closer to the line, we kept looking up. There was evidence of bullets hitting the ceiling as close as 3 yards down range of the firing line. THREE YARDS. You would have to be pointing a handgun at a 60 to 70 degree angle upwards to hit the ceiling three yards in front of you. I've seen a M1911 go full auto and the shooter didn't end up at a 70 degree angle. Shots like those I see at our range had to have been done intentionally.

Our club the target has to be run all the way out to the end 50 ft. you are not allowed to stop it at any other distance. The only exception is when they have junior rifle training for the kids the target is stopped half way because the kids are training with BB guns.

Our club the target has to be run all the way out to the end 50 ft. you are not allowed to stop it at any other distance. The only exception is when they have junior rifle training for the kids the target is stopped half way because the kids are training with BB guns.

What is the point of being a member of this club?

What is wrong with 50 feet? How close do you have to be to hit the target? I drive 45 minutes to shoot there. Nice bunch of guys and one of the few indoor ranges around. No problem following the rules.

We shoot Pistol bullsey and Sporter Rifle. Any handgun caliber as long as its lead and below 900 fps.

I have seen my girlfriend shoot @ 7 yards (different place)with the target mounted too high. It will hit the ceiling before 25 yards.
Target must be hung lower than here eye level.

The range we were at would charge $20.00 per ceiling hit. The range officer pointed out to me she was hitting the ceiling, so we politely moved the target lower. No charge.

David

50 ft = 16.66 yards. Not all that bad.

What I don understand is the max of 900 fps rule?
Most pistol ammo already exceeds that (1000+ fps). 115gr 9MM = 1090-1145 fps.

Its what the backstop can take.

We shoot 22s, 38s and 45s in bullseye. Some have 32 auto for bullseye. Not like a Tomcat. :)

You don't see much 9mm lead either.

On a really good day I can shoot a 99 timed fire with a Buckmark 22 and red dot site. One hand.

Maybe its because we are a bunch of old guys. I am 56. There are times I am the youngest on the line. Usually I am the only one that is not retired.

The public ranges I see now use recycled tires for a backstop. One place has a 3,800 fps limit. So it only rules out a 220 swift. Most won't allow buckshot. I shoot a Savage model 25 bolt in 223.

David

It is a great club besides the indoor 50 ft range we have a rifle range out to 300 yds, an outdoor pistol range 25 and 50 yds, an outdoor plinking range 50 yds, an outdoor combat range 7 to 25 yds, a trap range, an outdoor archery range and two fishing ponds with small mouth bass and crappy both spring fed fresh cold water. The indoor range is open 24/7, the outdoor ranges are open 9 am til dusk all year around. Except open at 10am on Sundays. We have rifle and handgun matches and support youth groups in the area including proper gun handling and safety, certified by the NRA. The annual dues are less than $125.00. Whats not to like ? Besides it is only about 15 minutes drive from my house. We even have 3 M1 grand matches a year and if you don't have an M1 Grand the club will loan you one as we have several. We also provide BB guns and 22"s for our youth programs if they don't have their own. We supply all ammo for the youth as well. I forgot to say we also have a large picnic area with tables and grills for members and their families to enjoy for free. We have monthly meetings and after the meeting the club buys pizza and wings delivered to the club.

What is an "outdoor combat range?"

If I were limited to a minimum 50feet there would be no reason to go there if I were shooting pistol.

It is a great club besides the indoor 50 ft range we have a rifle range out to 300 yds, an outdoor pistol range 25 and 50 yds, an outdoor plinking range 50 yds, an outdoor combat range 7 to 25 yds, a trap range, an outdoor archery range and two fishing ponds with small mouth bass and crappy both spring fed fresh cold water. The indoor range is open 24/7, the outdoor ranges are open 9 am til dusk all year around. Except open at 10am on Sundays. We have rifle and handgun matches and support youth groups in the area including proper gun handling and safety, certified by the NRA. The annual dues are less than $125.00. Whats not to like ? Besides it is only about 15 minutes drive from my house. We even have 3 M1 grand matches a year and if you don't have an M1 Grand the club will loan you one as we have several. We also provide BB guns and 22"s for our youth programs if they don't have their own. We supply all ammo for the youth as well. I forgot to say we also have a large picnic area with tables and grills for members and their families to enjoy for free. We have monthly meetings and after the meeting the club buys pizza and wings delivered to the club.

Sounds like an AWESOME club - family/kids oriented as well, not just a bunch of old grumpy kmow-it-alls

Combat range is where you can shoot as close as 7 yards. The 25/50 yard bullseye range has turning targets on the 25 yard line for timed and rapid fire. 30 positions. You can also shoot 22 rimfire rifle on this range. Another member and I built the target frames for 50 yards.

In the summer, once a month they have a 300 yard Prone match, a 200 yard RIMFIRE bencrest match, and a 3 position military match. Every saturday moring is 100 yard offhand rifle match, any caliber, any sight. Monday night is trap. Sunday is outdoor pistol league, it rotates between 3 clubs. I shoot most of the monthly matches and saturday morning offhand rifle.

In the winter on Satuday morning is a 900 indoor pistol match, rimfire or center fire. They have sporter rifle on thursday night. Two pistol teams in different leagues. I shot all of these all winter long.

David

David... sounds like a good club. The backstop being only able to handle 900 fps makes sense.

FYI?.. I'm 52 so you guys aren't that old.

Back