Indication of mag trouble or something else? (And other AR questions)

Pond James Pond

With my AR today, I had several cases of a round (near the end of the mag) not being fed into the chamber resulting in a click but no bang.

Scratch marks on some cases suggested the BCG slid over the top.

Is this a sign of problems with the mag feed or something in the rifle.

Mags are E-landers.

Post No.2 about buffer tube springs prompted another recollection about the BCG flying forwarded. A few times there was some weird situations when there seemed to be a light strike, I tried to clear the gun, but the case was really stiff in the chamber and eventually came out with some hefty tugging.

In some cases, I had to empty the chamber and I saw a very light dent in the primer: is this due to the pin hitting the primer under the inertia of the BCG flying forward?

I should point out that, up until now, I'd had no problems with my AR, but this time it seemed there were a few FTFs and seemingly FTFs too (Failure to feed and fire, respectively).

They seemed to happen with the same round each time, but it eventually chambered and fired. With those that failed to fire, I get the feeling that they had not chambered fully.

Certainly in one case I had found what looked like a target sticker stuck to it!! That would make chambering hard!

These situations are hard to describe because as I had not expected them I was not ready to note any repeated characteristics that might help diagnose

Last edited:
I'd try cleaning the magazine and the rifle, and giving the mag shot of silicone lube

It could also be a sign of the bolt not fully cycling to the rear

Back