Indiana discontinuing the lifetime carry license? Has anyone else heard this?

Today, at one of my local gun shops I overheard a discussion about lifetime carry permits. The two gentlemen (one an employee) were saying that Indiana will soon stop (possibly within a month or two) issuing their lifetime licenses and return to just issuing the four year permits. I've tried doing some basic research on google with the only results being from back in 2009.

Pretty much just curious if anyone has heard anything similar.

I hope I posted this in the right section.

Thanks,
Marty

Thanks

Thanks for the response Kreyzhorse. I had my doubts but they both seemed rather adamant so I thought I would ask here.

Also, what an awesome website. Had never seen it before so thanks for posting that link.

Thanks,
Marty

Honestly? You can discard about 99.9% of what you hear at gun shops, whether it be from the shop staff or other customers.

There have been rumors that the lifetime LTCH was going to be abolished since very shortly after it was enacted in '06. After five years, we still have lifetime LTCH so I'm not going to get excited until I hear something more substantial than gunshop gossip.

if they do will they issue refunds?

While I really don't think they're going to discontinue the Lifetime LTCH, if they decided to I doubt there would be any need to issue refunds. The rumors I've heard (and they're really nothing more than rumors) suggest that existing lifetime lisences would be grandfathered in and that no new lifetime lisences would be issued.

How do lifetime licenses affect reciprocity agreements?

Just curious, because some states are only reciprocal with others that have very similar requirements to their own. Not sure if the Indiana lifetime carry has had any negative effects with regard to reciprocity.

If the state legislature passed laws to make lifetime licenses a reality, wouldn't the legislature have to rescind those laws? Or they would have to be overturned by the courts?

How do lifetime licenses affect reciprocity agreements?

To my knowlege, no state that previously had reciprocity agreements with Indiana has changed them since lifetime licenses became available. The duration of a lisence doesn't seem to be the main criteria that states use to determine reciprocity anyway as the requirements to get a license to begin with seems to be of greater concern. I know that Ohio, for example, does not honor an Indiana LTCH because IN has no training requirement while Ohio does. Indiana, BTW, honors all out-of-state licenses and I know that an Indiana LTCH is valid in Michigan, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, and Florida and several other states that I can't name right off the top of my head. I also know that neither Ohio nor Illinois honors IN LTCH because of the training requirement in the former and the lack of any sort of license in the latter.

Back