Increasing 0.224" bullets to 0.228"

Braddock VC

I've just bought a savage 99 in 22 hi power. Bore slugs at 0.227".
Is there such a thing as an expanding sizing die?
I'm getting some hard cast boolits that dop out of the die at 0.2265" according to the foundry and thought the easy way is to powder coat them but \i have my doubts that the coating will hold together at 3000 fps or so.
I know that the smart money says that 224 will shoot accurately, well they didn't tel 208XXX this when they put her together in 1918, in fact factory winchester ammo isn't that good and reloads with S&B 0.228 bullets not much better.
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, Hornady sells a 70 grain 0.228 bullet. I haven't bought any recently, so don't know the stock situation. Cutting Edge Bullets makes a 60 grain copper bullet that has worked well for me, and Buffalo Arms stocks 55, 60, and 70 bullets. I'm loading for a BRNO O/U combination gun rather than a Savage, but so far I've had no trouble finding bullets.

Cast bullets, no matter the coating and even with gas checks will probably not be satisfactory when pushed to 3000fps.

2200fps +/- is the general upper limit for acceptable cast bullet performance in terms of both accuracy and leading.

There might be a swage system that allows you to bump under size bullets up, but I'm not familiar with it, if there is one.

The usual process is to get a custom mold made, or get an existing mold honed out to the desired diameter.

Good Luck!

Back