Incomplete burn, factory ammo

Stats Shooter

I decided to post this here since most folks on this forum are well versed in the art of ammo making.

Had a Remington Ultimate Defense 45 acp round today not fully burn. Remington Ultimate defense is my SD ammo in all my SD guns and my wife's guns. I have done extensive testing and the golden saber is the best feeding bullet there is....I have posted threads on this and spent thousands of dollars proving it to myself. Basically, if it wont feed golden Sabres, it wont feed any hollow points.

Anyway, today while shooting my HK 45, i had a round that did not fully burn. The bullet cleared the barrel, but it was not powerful enough to pus the slide back and eject. I could feel something went wrong so i dropped the mag, extrated the case and checked for squib.

Inside the case i could see unburned powder. I have shot thousands of Remington Golden Sabre or ultimate defense rounds and never had an issue until this one. I have had some cheap target ammo squib before like wolf and blazer (once in my 9mm makarov, once in a glock 19)

Also once had some kind of oil residue in some .223 ammo causing hangfires where i could hear the hammer hit the firing pin, then a split second later the gun went off or they completely failed to fire.

I guess thats why you do malfunction drills.

Wow! I never would have expected a squib from factory centerfire ammo, especially high dollar SD ammo. Eeek! :eek:

I once saw a remmington 700 action blown up by a factory federal hunting round. I didn't see it happen, but saw the aftermath.

I also think most folks do not shoot enough premium ammo to see many failures. Suppose some high end ammo has a 1/10,000 failure rate. Thats pretty good actually.but many folks wont shoot enough of it to see a failure.

In the navy i trained with the ammo i carried. Had failures now and then that needes to be cleared in both 5.56 and 9mm. Factory ammo is NOT some infallible product is all i am saying.

Last edited:
squibs can happen. a remington primer is a remington primer. to me premium ammo means better bullet, better brass, more consistant powder measure. a primer is a primer over all they are good, but they can fail. with the possible exception of bench rest rifle primers. oh, Federal HST has a nice rounded profile, its the only HP my 1911 would reliable cycle, great round

It wasn't the primer i dont think, it was likely the powder as the primer had enough explosiveness to send the bullet down the barrel. The powder though was unburned.

I once had a bad lot of cci 250 primers that simply wouldn't detonate 1/100. Even trying the same round multiple times.

It happens. Thats why tap, rack, and bang was invented

Back