• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Inactive for sale posts

shepherddogs

This is probably the wrong place but here goes anyway. Somebody posts a gun for sale and people reply to the ad but the seller never answers. I've responded to a couple ads but the sellers just disappear. Shouldn't these ads be deleted so that a current list of "real" items for sale is maintained?:)

Somebody posts a gun for sale and people reply to the ad but the seller never answers. I've responded to a couple ads but the sellers just disappear.

Sure like the answer to your question, too. There's an ACTIVE member here that I PM'd and posted on his thread regarding a gun he had for sale and never even got a response. It's bad enough that there may be a drive-by. Even worse when you see the person still meandering on the boards...

It would clean up the threads a bit, but moderators would be able to answer your question better than I would. My guess is that's it's extremely time consuming to police all the buy/sell threads to see what has been bought/sold by contacting the originator...

I like the way M1911.org does it. They delete a for sale ad after 30 days, sold or not. If you still haven't sold it, you just post it again. Saves you from getting search hits from 1999.

We understand your frustration with non-responsive sellers (and buyers). However, the for-sale forums are not a major feature of TFL even though they are very active. They exist only for the convenience of our members. The moderators do not actively monitor the threads in those forums, so any offer to buy or sell that doesn't receive a reply is almost never seen nor acted on by the moderators.

I kinda like the M1911.org system IZinterrogator described. However, again, that would take monitoring of at least the thread timestamps. Even that isn't done currently. We have tended to keep the old for-sale threads around for archival and reference purposes. Maybe that policy should be revisited since those purposes never really seem to come into play that I am aware of.

Back