In praise of the 180 grain .40!

long shot

I know some dislike this weight, but here's my reasons for prefering it.

1) Same sectional density as the 230gr .45 loads.

2) Less felt recoil than the hot .40 loads (to me anyway), feels more like the push of a std. pressure 230gr .45.

3) Performs well out of shorter bbl's, ie: my Glock 23. In all tests I've seen, these loads perform very well in terms of penetration/expansion, often out-performing the lighter/faster loads. Even loads like the 180gr Gold Dot perform well in this weight after barriers like cloth. The lighter GD's driven to higher velocities don't seem to expand as well after encountering this barrier.

4) Less muzzle blast/noise compared to hot loads.

5) All the "experts" seem to agree these loads are effective, so I don't really have to take sides in the caliber debates.;) M&S had the 180gr HS rated at 90% OSS, Fackler favors these loads in this caliber, & even the Border Patrol which seems to favor velocity & energy ranked the 180gr loads 2nd to the 155gr load they chose.

Opinions & feedback appreciated!:D

Best, long shot!

180 grain is all I shoot in .40 cal anymore. For all the reasons you stated regarding performance. In .45 cal all I shoot is 230 grain. For target or defensive purposes. Why shoot a lighter bullet with more kick and blast? It will just slow down faster on impact anyway.

Please, if we are going to be firing 180 gr .400" diameter loads, let's get them out of a 10mm Auto moving in excess of 1250fps! :D

Who said there can be too much of a good thing? :D

Derek

LongShot, I agree with you 100%. I'm also very fond of 180gr loads. Also, here in the PRK, the CHP is VERY happy with their 180gr loads. I here they do their own testing, but don't hold me to that. They claim excellent results with this round. Only time will tell, but so far so good. :)

I agree with JHS. I tried the lighter rounds,too. I find the 180gr. more enjoyable to shoot.

If you quys want a real twink load for a .40 try using a 220 grain bullet. Real soft. I'm currently using a 200 grainer though.

Long shot please explain what you mean by "sectional density" in reference to the 180 gr .40 versus the 230 gr .45. I'm not sure what you are getting at.

What about kB!s?

I like the 180s too. The recoil is less snappy than the lighter rounds and I find them more accurate. I've moved away from them because of the kB! factor. Haven't most kB! happened with 180s? What do you guy think of this article http://greent.com/40Page/ammo/40/180gr.htm ? Aren't you better off with 165s over 180s?

The gun that I bet my life on is a Glock 23 loaded with 14 rds. of 180 gr. Gold Dots. It is much easier to control with the 180 gr. loads than the 155 gr. GD.

Thanks to all who have replied so far. :D

Tecolote,

I agree there is less room for error w/ the 180gr loads by both ammo companies & especially reloaders do to the reduced case volume. However, to me this article should just come out & say be extra cautious reloading 180gr bullets for .40 caliber Glocks, & if you do reload for them, keep a keen eye on your brass as the Glocks chamber is not fully supported in the 6 O'clock position & tends to bulge the brass because of this.
Of course, we know Glock does not recommend reloading for their pistols, & if one does reload for their Glock an after mkt. bbl is a good investment.

There have been KB's reported w/ all .40 caliber bullet weights, even loads such as the 135/165gr PDHS, these are reduced power w/ more case volume. There was a post on GT not to long ago about a member who's G-35 KB'd using the 135 PDHS.

It was stated by Mr. Green in the article that the FBI must agree w/ him that the 180gr loads are not the best choice, when they broke tradition & approved two 165gr loads. I only know of the FBI issuing the 165gr HS, the reduced power load. This load is designed for reduced recoil,(thus easier for agents to shoot & qualify with). This certainly contradicts his statement about maximizing the .40's potential, as it travels slower & has less energy than most 180gr loads, the same loads he's saying to stay away from.

Something else to consider, the 180gr loads are the most popular w/ LEA, & many of those agencies use Glocks. It would seem that we should be hearing about these guns blowing up left & right according to this article, but the fact is agencies still keep using both, w/ very few if any complaints or problems.
I'm not saying it doesn't or can't happen, as it has happened w/ factory 180gr loads. However, it's not isolated to just the 180gr weight, or the .40, or just Glock pistols, it can happen in any make of pistol in almost any caliber. It does seem more prone to happen when reloaders try to push the envelope & don't stay w/ in safe parameters.

The 155/165gr loads are certainly an excellent choice in this caliber. However, I simply shoot the 180gr loads better & more comfortably, so atleast for myself, I'm better off w/ them.

Stay Safe & Good Shootin'... long shot!

Magtech 180gr. JHP. I've shot these through my .40's without problems. They're inexpensive and reliable - a defensive round you can afford to practice with. The only thing I've ever shot through any of my .40's is 180gr. rounds, both FMJ and JHP. I haven't tried anything else yet.

-10CFR

When I drop a .40 caliber barrel into my 357 SIG pistol, I always use 180 grain bullets. They work perfectly. I use an OAL of 1.130 for my reloads and they are quite accurate. I don't believe it is any more unsafe using the 180 grain bullets as it is for reloading 357 SIG ammo. Like anything else, "If you load it right, it works right".

I love the 180gr .40. I use the Speer Lawman for training and plinking purposes, and carry the 180gr Black Talon in my USP. I have no problems with the recoil, as it is plenty effective as far as power goes. To be honest, I would rather carry a heavier round for defensive purposes,
as opposed to a lighter round. I am more confident in knowing that my round will have a better chance of penetrating, and thus reaching my goal of saving my tail.
I might lose accuracy when it comes to long distances, but I don't plan on being a sniper with any of my pistols.

Semper Fi-
JJC

Rebirth of confidence

long shot,

Thanks for the great post. I prefer the 180s as I've said. I'm definetely going back to it. BTW out a G23 the most accurate ammo yet has been Winhester WinClean 180s.

My home defense loads are 180 grn Remington golden Sabers, nuff said. We've been through the pluses aqnd minuses of the 40 before so I won't rehash the argument here.

Back