In praise of an N-frame...

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
The recent post-accident range visits had been good for convincing me that my fractured arm was healed, and that I could at least get the holes clustered in the same vicinty as each other on an IPSC target at seven yards. The time off, plus the sore wrist my first couple of range sessions left me shooting some pretty pathetic "groups", though. Like 1-foot, with most rounds showing definite "low and left" signs of flinch. So this time around, I decided to concentrate on trigger control with one gun in particular; my 625-4. After scattering a couple shots around the target in single action mode, I took a couple deep breaths and tried double action with the big wheelgun(never my strong suit). B-r-e-a-t-h-e...calm...stroke the trigger gentl-*BANG!*

Dead in the geometric center of the A-zone.

And again. And Again.

Made the P7 and the G29 feel so easy afterwards. Those giant revolvers sure are good trigger therapy. :D

a lady after my own heart.....

all that and looks good too...

drying a tear here.

front site, PRESS, FRONT SITE, press

a one foot pattern fits nicely on a BG's chest
six inch is better, everything else is gravy

Glad you worked your "flinch" out, but I'm a little curious. I find the action on most my N frames to be considerably better than the DA semi-auto's I've tried. Admittedly that hasn't been all that many as I'm a bit old fashioned (like N frames and 1911's), but most of them feel terrible compared to a good DA revolver (at least to ME).

True,

see, with the P7's flyweight short-stroke trigger or the spring-loaded-squirtgun-feeling Glock trigger (or the N-frame's hair-trigger SA mode, for that matter), there just wasn't "enough trigger there" for me to work on my trigger-control "ABC's", as it were. The butter-smooth N-frame DA trigger, though, with its long, smooth, even pull and surprise break at the end is just ideal for self-analysis and ironing out bugs in my technique.

I prefer the feel and action of my old K frame 66 to my N's but of couse the first bzillion rounds helped break it in.
I agree a good DA session is great drill.
On the subject of rehab:
a marine corp friend visited me after having his near-severed right forearm re-attached. He suggested we take a trip to the range where he showed me what he had been doing on his own for rehab. He told me to load 3 rounds into each of 2 mags for his and my own 1911's. He picked up the 2 gov models and then he dropped the six steel plates from outside-in at 20 ft. right, left, right, left, right, left. 6 for 6
I have to admit it was very inspiring but I hope to never have 8 months to work on it like he did.

Tamara,

Now I understand what you were doing. Did confuse me just a bit at first.

Kingcreek,

The best DA or SA triggers I have are all old five screw K frames, but I suspect the 50 or 60 years of use on them is a larger reason for the smoothness and lightness than anything anyone did to them as far as action jobs. I also have a 40 year old Python that has a SA trigger that is almost as scary as the K-38, and better than the two K-22's. The Colt DA is still, of course, classic Colt in that it stacks. All four of these guns have SA pulls below the minimum reading (8 oz.) on my trigger scale.

Tamara

It's hard to beat a good S%W N frame for either accurate single action fire or fast smooth double action shooting.

Glad to hear that your wrist is comming along well.

Three great N frames for working on trigger pull and flinching are the 627, 625 and 610. Light! All three make the top three for accuracy too. Work the loads up, then switch to something with a little more bark and a bit of a bite. Gets really easy!

S&w625.jpg

Robert

Bought an old model 27 S&W N frame couple of months ago.
I've got to say I am falling in love with the darn thing.
All my semis' are collecting dust. The trigger on it is the sweetest of anything I've ever fired. It made a believer out of me!

Have to chime in and agree with Robert. I have all 3 of those (some in mulltiples) and they are all really great. I would have to add my 3" Lew Horton 629 to the list also. With some lighter loads it is a sweet shooter.

3" & 5" 625's and 3" 629
View

Back