In one week, I will just be coming off the line at Camp Perry

Jason Demond

One more week, and my Father and I will be attending the Rifle SAFS, and shooting the M16EIC matches at Camp Perry. This will be our third year at the Nationals.

Next year we hope to shoot the more serious HP matches.:cool:

Since you made the drive, you ought to shoot a match. The Presidents, is the following day, and the Leg match the next. I signed up for the Presidents, Leg (National Individual Trophy) , M1 Carbine, Hearst, M1 Garand, Springfield, Vintage Bolt, and the following week I'm signed up for the NRA Hi-Power nationals which is three cross the course 80 round matches which takes four days, and the 3X600 which is three 20 round matches fired the same day.

I know, but right now it's kind of cost prohibitive. Just the dump we are staying in, is expensive, not to mention gas.

The last two years in a row, we just shot the JCG match. That doesn't include our trips down to shoot matches with the ORPA.

I'll be living large in the barracks, they are very decent and $11 a night. The Garand and Springfield matches are almost free.... $35 includes the ammo and a T-shirt and free beer after the Garand match.

I will also be attending the SAFS and shooting the M16 EIC. Then the Pres 100 and NTI.

This will be my second nationals. Cant wait !!

Let me know how it goes. I and some buddies are planning on going next year. This would be my second trip as my first was in 1990.

I'm shooting the Presidents, the NTI, hopefully the NTIT and the 6-man match, plus the Springfield and Garand matches.

Ty

We got back from Perry yesterday afternoon. I would have written last night, but we were pretty tired. I think the Army Marksmanship Unit's, Small Arms Firing School (SAFS) had just over 600 students, and 518 of them returned the next day to shoot the M16 EIC match (Excellence in Competition). Friday after we checked in, we went shopping on Commercial Row. We bought a few small things, like shirts, pins, and cups. Saturday we reported to the Camp Perry Theater for the safety briefing.

We got out of the safety briefing at about 10:30, and didn't need to report to the range until 1:00. So we took our Bushmaster AR15 over to Bushmaster for a little work. National match sights, butt stock weight, and a trigger job, to make the gun a little easer to shoot.

We reported to the firing line at 1:00 for coached practice, but with just over 600 shooters, it took awhile. We didn't get out until 5:30 or 6:00. It was so damn hot (high 90&'s), with no shade. After I shot, I wasn't feeling so good, and couldn't work the pits. I even at one point was given ice by a medic. I wasn't deathly sick or anything, but it was bad. A person could go from sick to being carted away by an ambulance pretty easily. One guy was even given an IV.

The next day (Sunday) we had to report back to the range at 6:30 AM for the M16 EIC. Since I was relay 2, I was sent to the pits, with relay 1 of course. It was better working in the morning, because it was slightly cooler.

The M16 EIC was a 400 point, five sighter match. Meaning five sighting shots, with 40 shots for record. The first string was slow fire prone, followed by rapid fire prone. The third string was 10 shots rapid fire sitting/kneeling, followed by 10 shots slow fire standing.

I ended up with two misses in the standing, and that hurt me a little. I finished with a 301-1X, and my Dad finished with a 328-1X, beating me out this year. While we didn't win any EIC points, we had a great time none the less. Also they really did issue us real M16's, same gun as our troop shoot. I an sure some of them saw action in Vietnam. Our's was made my FN FWIW. While they had a selector block on the safety, they still had the burst cam in them, and were capable of auto fire.

If the gun grabbing weenie bags knew the US Army, with the help of other Military branches were teaching civilians to shoot machine guns, they would probably have a heart attacks!

Glad to see you had a great time. I hear you on the heat! My first match was the Presidents, a thirty shot match, the heat was scorching, I didn't do real well. The next day was the NIT (leg) fifty shots, This is a huge match with 6 relays, it took 12 hours, the heat was the worse, my Kestrel was reading a heat index of 117! Several ambulance calls to the pits, I did shoot well with a 473 to make the cut for leg points. The next day was the Hearst two man team match, I found a partner, this was a three relay match that went quick with pair-firing, lots of fun. The other two team on my firing point were the two teams from the AMU that ended up winning the match, my partner and myself had a respectable score. The next day was the M1Carbine match, I shot OK and got a bronze. The next day (Friday I think) I shot the Springfield match in the morn, scored a 278 for a Silver, then shot a K-31 in the Vintage bolt match in the afternoon and scored a 280 for a Gold. This is getting to be a blurr, LOL. The Garand match the next day was a big one also, scored a bronze.
The next weeks four NRA 80 shot matches the weather was much cooler, I dint shoot as well, think I was just burned out from lack of sleep in the very hot barracks. The final match I shot was Friday's three 600yard matches, it was VERY windy, I was reading 22MPH with lots of letups. I put on 28 clicks of right windage and scored a 10 on the first sighter, a 10 on the second (last) sighter, then the first shot of record was a 7, augghh! I did end up shooting in the 90s for most strings and felt real good to get it. There were some letups that really killed me. I'm shooting a service rife (an AR 15 with iron sights) and that bullet can really be blowed around in the wind at 600 yards. All in all, it was a great time and I'm looking forward to next year and add shooting some of 1000 yard matches.

Yes it was a hot one. I used to get in on sunday mourning as I did this year but had monday off. Now that we shoot on monday I will be getting back there on sat. mourning now. Trying to get everything done in one day was pretty bad.
tired of being off on my zero's the first two days so the upper I shot there is in the safe with zero's for next year and it will not get shot till them. Yelp even shooting bad I picked up another bronze in the leg also.
I wish they would have the Hearst match on a different day so I can shoot it. with coaching a whistler boy team that is a priority. I heard very good things about that match.
We blew to many shots in the 6 man team match and ended up 5th civilian overall. I shot a 6 in off hand and had my worst score at 600 all year. a 478 in that match will not help you win.

Yeah that heat was a killer. when I saw what it was going to be on the leg day I thought about packing it in, but I had not shot a EIC match all year so I was going to do it. when I saw how many open spots there was on the line in roll call I knew the heat had taken its toll.

Jason: I am pleased to see folks going the first time and I hope you make it a yearly trip as I find the time spent with friends and meeting new friends something I would truely miss if I stopped going.

Ken: I am really thinking about staying for the NRA week next year as I have not shot it since like 2003. Many folks do not like the nra week but I find it very nice. Start at 8 and end by 3. Works for me. Yeah I saw some of the scores for a few days and new it must of been windy.

jon

Congrats on getting a leg! Yep, you would love the Hearst, it was the highlight of the matches. With three relays and pair-firing, it was the most shots in the least time. As I said before I was squaded with the AMU teams, Norm Anderson/Ty Cooper, and Grant Singley/Lance Hooper. I was scoreing for Norm and Ty for the offhand, Ty scored a 100-6X! He had a very good day, only dropping 2 points the whole match, one in the rapids and one at 600 if I remember right. Kind of makes me wonder what I'm doing there, but I think I shot better just being with the best. Lance and Singley ended up with the top score.
I like NRA week better myself, a whole lot less people, and everyone is experienced. Four relays make for a shorter day. But, commercial row packs up and leaves, and no T-shirts. Its all fun.

Back