in-home training

xMINORxTHREATx

Hey all.

Winter is setting in (at least in Ohio) and my range time is going to be cut down a lot. My usual range is at a friends house, out doors, and the only indoor range around me is about 40 minutes away, and I'm lazy. :cool:

So I'm trying to think of some drills I can run at home to keep me on my toes.

One drill I'm fond of is the "bang bang click" drill I learned from the Army.

You hold the pistol out in a firing position and have some one hit the barrel and say "bang." They do that a random number of times, then say "click" and stop just an inch or so from the barrel. This drill is two fold. It helps to teach to not anticipate the kick, and when they say "click" you run through a misfire drill.
Obviously done with snap caps. NEVER TRY WITH A LOADED FIREARM....

Other drills I have been doing are your basic defense drawing of the weapon, rapid reloading, and one hand drawing.

I was wondering if any one else had some good suggestions.

Once there are a few, I would like to compile them all in a thread and sticky it, giving credit to each who adds to it.

Also, once there are a few, I can make a youtube video of how to do perform the drills, since sometimes words cant describe them perfectly, and post it in the sticky as well.

Reloading weapon/reloading clip in the dark...

Drawing your holstered weapon from a seated/prone position...

Clearing a FTF (auto) with one hand...(the trick is to figure out a way, so that if the need arises, you have another option besides throwing it at the BG)

Never thought of in the dark.

Prone and sitting are good ones.

Reloading a mag is a good thought, but I don't see being in a scenario where you would have extra rounds laying around. Then again, better to have the training and not need it, then need it and not have it.

I keep my ammo separate from my guns, and I practice pulling them out, dumping them on the bed and reloading two clips in the dark....It was the proverbial monkey and a football the first few times, but I've gotten pretty good at it...The last one replicated being shot in one arm and having a FTF...I try to think of every scenario...Like you said, It better to have it and not need it.

I even tried to get my wife to bite my arm real hard while I tried to reset my Glock, to simulate the pain, but she wouldn't do it...lol

The dark room adds a dimension. I know I can drop and re-insert a mag with my eyes closed or in the dark. I do it by feel anyway and I have deleoped that essential muscle memory. Loading the mag with rounds or grabbing the appropriate mag in the dark would be tougher.

I keep my pistol under my bed, in the case it came in (SW M&P case, black plastic, two latches, foam inside) and the mags are loaded, just not in the gun, so rolling out of bed and grabbing the mags would be a good scenario. Thanks! :D

I understand the one arm scenario. Forgot to comment on it but I agree its something I need to do.

In my opinion, muscle memory is key. I practice new moves at a comfortable pace at first, then slowly speed it up. Thats how I was taught combatives in the Army, and it really helps.

I've got a ton of live-fire drills, but few that could be done effectively with snap caps. Mainly, accuracy drills, in many "uncomfortable" situations.

Let me know when you do a live-fire session...

Here's a few more I remembered...

Weak hand drawing from strongside holster.

Shooting/reloading weak hand.

Clearing your home safely...Waking to noise/coming home to find forced entry/after taking down a BG.
Obviously, calling the cops and watching from a safe vantage point is the best option, but if there are others in the home, I personally, would have to follow-up.
Make sure if you call LE first and then go in, make it very clear to dispatch that you are inside the home.

Most people don't carry inside, all the time. Try to imagine all the entry points available to a BG, and how you would obtain your weapon from different living areas of your home. Trust me, it gets hairy, after the first 10 scenarios. And, those are just the ones that you can conceive.

I was thinking live fire might be my third or fourth video.

I want to do a in home video, an intro to cleaning and safety for people new to firearms, and a basic range guide one too.

I'm actually getting kind of excited about it. I used to make video's like this with my paintball team for our sponsor. He sold the DVDs with starter kits.

I would really like to make them and post them on youtube, and affiliate it with this site.

Will do.
The live fire ones will have to wait for a month or so seeing as...... I woke up this morning to a decent snow fall and my car was covered in a 1/4 inch of ice!!!! I hate Ohio. haha

Airguns.
The blowback, recoiling, airsoft and pellet guns have become so realistic, that regular practice will not only preserve skills, but actually improve on them.
A great addition, in my experience, to dry firing exercises.
Much like practicing with .22s.
And you get to see actual holes in the targets.

True. I have a few of those laying around, but I like to practice with MY weapons.

But they do make a GBB (gas blow back) M&P, which is the next best thing to shooting my M&P I suppose.

Take a brand new, lead pencil and sharpen it very sharp.

Use masking tape to make two little doughnuts around it, about 3 inches apart. The diameter of the doughnuts should just allow the pencil/doughnut combination to very easily slip in and out of your 1911 barrel.

Unload your 1911, . . . tape a white piece of paper on the wall, . . . put an aiming mark on it. Load the pencil up, . . . cock the hammer, . . . get some good "anti flinch" drills. If you are good, . . . you'll only have one mark on your paper other than your aiming mark.

May God bless,
Dwight

Yep, . . . that is the process. Of course you are just a couple of inches away from the wall when you do it, . . . and it can open your eyes as to how much flinching you may be doing.

Dropping the pencil down the barrel and "shooting" it upwards is an old, tried, and true determination that you put the thing back together correctly when you just had it apart for cleaning, etc.

Adding the tape and shooting it horizontally also is a bit dated, . . . but it's kinda like that old "boy meets girl" thing, . . . been going on for a long time and it is still fun.

May God bless,
Dwight

A few suggestions.....

Practice tap/rack drills while moving through your house, or back yard. Getting off the X is not always easy while working around furniture.

Practice "cutting the pie" in your home with various weapons, i.e handgun, shotgun, etc. Whatever weapon you have available is something that you should practice with.

Back