In Appreciation of an Engineering Milestone

Thanks, C, most cool stuff. Thy've got the SR-71 that shattered the LA-DC coast-to-coast record (58 min) the day the plane was retired as 'obsolete' parked out at Dulles airport awaiting its new home in the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum annex being built there. Helluva plane, and especially impressive, given that its technology germinated in the late '50's. M2

I thought they were just decommissioned and are returned to service every once in a while when we need a good fast spy plane to taek pictures. Last year Discoervy Channel did a special on the balckbird. and how it take to chevy 454's to get them started thats crazy man but cool

garrick

Garrick, I believe we're both right. They were orignally retired, but the CIA & company quickly found out that satellites can't do it all/see it all, so they've quietly put some back into service on an 'as needed' basis. They are an awsome aircraft, their operating ceiling and top speed is still classified to the best of my knowledge. I would trade vital body parts for a ride . . . M2

Actually, rumor has it that two of the SR-71's were outfitted with hydrazine powered engines. As a test bed. Which should give you a clue as to what the latest spy plane is like. Walt

I have heard rumors that there was a plane to replace the blackbird. Of course this project would be black, but it does not make sense to retire the SR-71 without a replacement since sattelites are not everywhere when you want them.
I dunno, just speculation.
BTW- I got to "accidently" see one several years ago up close. A thing of beauty.

Off track but did anyone see the special on discovery(?) a week or so ago on the YF-22(advanced tactical fighter)?. Man, talk about a beautiful and elegant aircraft. It can sustain supersonic speeds without afterburners. It is supposed to fly as good as it looks :)

Olazul

The YF-22 is still no SR-71. NOthing will every as cool as the SR-71. I mean the unclassified speed in Mach 3.5 I don't care what the web pages said I'm put money down that it has gone somewere i the 4.2-4.4 range.
MIke there are really 3 parts I wouldn't trade for a ride in the blackbird.

My Mom's cousin Jimmy Sullivan holds the world speed record between New York and London in the SR-71 in the late 70's. He was also the last pilot to fly the sister ship the YF-12? I think that is right. Never would tell me the top speed of the thing
Later
Daren

The air museum at the USS Alabama park has a SR-71 on diplay and I saw it last summer. All I could do was stand there and gawk. Man, that is one impressive bird!

Read the fact and myth page on John Stone's site. I read that a team of Lockheed technicians looked into cost/feasibility of increasing the plane's speed beyond Mach 3.4 and found one of the problems would be that the metal divider between the windshield panes would so greatly overheat that it would compromise the integrity of the glass. The titanium skin is also about at it's limit also. Now that's speed! (about 3,100FPS)

The links on both sites are great also.

I suspect that mach 3,4 would be achieved a lot higher than ground level...so the airspeed would not be quite as high. Or Mach means same at different altitudes?

CR, the speed of sound varies with the density of the media it is traveling in. You are correct in that it is lower at higher (less dense) altitudes. I'd have to look it up, but my recollection is that it is approximately 760 mph at sea level. When that British guy broke it at Bonneville 2 yrs ago, He was doing something in the neighborhood of 75X mph (again, I should look it up), but it was a function of altitude.

The current magical mystery hi-perf recon vehicle is the 'Aurora'. You occaisionaaly see some interesting specualtions in rags like 'Popular Science', supposedly an order of magnitude beyond the Balckkbird. M2

Was out at the Reno Air Races a few years ago and an SR71 and a Nighthawk both showed up. They did slow flybys and high speed flybys. Too cool!!!They also sat in static display though you could not walk up to either one.

There's a SR-71 at the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio that you can walk right up to, fondle the titanium skin, try to peek through the engines, etc. I'm surprised at the amount of access they give to some of the aircraft there. Along with the P-51D, I've always been very fond of SR-71's. A very impressive piece of technological wonder, especially in light of the development technology available at the time of design and construction. Consider that it took 40 years and supercomputers to come up with its mysterious successor, the Aurora.
There's rumors in some of the flight and science mags that the Aurora project is propelled by some new pulse ramjet technology. Geez, I'm getting giddy thinking about it..

[This message has been edited by DonL (edited 01-29-99).]

I was at Wright-Patterson Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio while the SR-71 was decommissioned and actually got to touch it. Now that they're using it again they put the ropes up and you can't get close enough. It's an awesome flying machine.

Cornered rat & Mike,

You've got it backwards.

Mach= velocity you are traveling(v)/speed of sound(c). M=v/c

The speed of sound(c) is inversely related to the density(p) of the air(c~1/p) . As density decreases(altitude increases) the speed of sound increases and vice versa.

As the speed of sound increases so does the velocity you must travel to keep the mach# the same.

Basically as you increase altitude you must travel faster to keep the mach # the same. So machX(any # here) at sea level is slower than mach X at a higher altitude.

The speed of sound @70 degF and sea level is 770mph.

My head hurts :),

Olazul

Ooops! My face is red. There's a reason I didn't get past freshman engineering (went on to get a BS in Marketing, but I repeat myself). I was thinking about it (lost in thought, it was unfamiliar territory) and common sense intruded as it occurred to me that less dense media = less resistence, so why would it be slower, higher?

We obviously have some airplane fanciers in our ranks. Some of y'all have mentioned some great aircraft museums, I'd like to add the Smithsonian's Paul Garber Restoration Facility in Silver Hill MD. As the name implies, it's where the National Air & Space Museum's exhibits are restored and prepped, and they've got twice as much stuff on exhibit as the main musem on the mall.

It's free, but its a good idea to call ahead for a time, as they try to keep teh groups small. The guides are all voluteers (and often of the same vintage as the aircraft - very knowledgable), as are the restorers. The best time to go is Spring or Fall, as they don't have heat or a/c.

I was there a while back when an older guy in our group took a particular interest in an F4U Corsair. He had his head up in the port side wheel well (did I mention you can get real close to the exhibits -), popped out and annouced that that was the plane he flew in the Pacific during the war. The guide scurried off & made a call, and a few minutes later a bunch of the staff showed up with a bottle of champaigne, a camera, and a magic marker. They had a little ceremony with him signing the wheel flap, then they put him in the cockpit, took pictures, let him tell a few stories, and generally made a medium-large fuss over him. It was really nice. At any rate, if you're in town and have teh time, it's a great place to visit. M2

olazul

I think the other guys are right. I pretty sure that the higher up you are, the easier it is to acheive the speed of sound. I find the formula this weekend and post it. I had a discussion with my physics prof last quarter

but does it really matter. If the SR-71 was created with slide rules, what can they make with computers? I don't think we'll every know. they'll hide that forever

garrick

Back