In Alaska shootin' my 458 Lott at speed ... video

WildBill45

http://youtu.be/YrrILPAcCxQ

I am still in Alaska. Here is a short video clip of me shooting my CZ 458 Lott at speed. I am shooting at the Rabbit Creek Rifle Range, Anchorage Alaska.

My rifle stays up here, so it was fun to shoot it again after 3 years since the last visit. Shooting at speed with the big bores is a blast! It is also the best way to keep the skills for defensive situations in the bush.

I saw a bear this trip going down the dirt road in front of the truck, other folks with me saw another bear, both black bears. There was a sow grizz and twin 2 year olds harassing folks and taking their catch just up the river from where I was fishing. Fish and Game shot them last week with rubber buckshot since they were they becoming habitual with the harassment.

This is a wonderul place, the last frontier, and the landscapes will take your breath away. I did a wonderful motorcycle ride to Seward, and the view from the saddle of a bike is second to none!!!

Last edited:
Cool round, getting my .416 Remington magnum re-barreled to .458 Lott, there's a bigger selection of .458 bullets compared to the .416.

Regarding bear defense, isn't it the one you don't see that's gonna get you? :eek: :D

Regarding bear defense, isn't it the one you don't see that's gonna get you?

Yes it is, just that truck on the road, but, and there always is a but in life, you do your best to not get dead!:)

I am still in AK, and not checking posts often.

I had a CZ ,416 and loved it. It had a Euro-stock style. The 458 Lott is more versatile, and can shoot .458 magnum rounds in a pinch ... I call them 458 LOTT Light!

Also have a .458 Win. mag. Remington 798. Good round also, confidence-inspiring.

416 Rem. mag. vs. .458 Lott, both will shoot 300 to 400 gr bullets to about the same muzzle velocity. With the .458 Lott you have 500 + gr bullets available. Even more (not false) confidence-inspiring. :p

The Rabbit Creek range is located on the side of the world, judging from the videos... :p

Nice shooting though. Biggest belted mag I've fired was a 375 H&H. I certainly didn't try to shoot it fast either.

Biggest belted mag I've fired was a 375 H&H. I certainly didn't try to shoot it fast either.

I can shoot my O3A3 ought six super fast, but the .458 Lott is a tad slower! You have to shoot at a pace that the recoil, muzzle rise and your skill sets permit you to do, but most of us can speed that up if we shoot more of the big bores. My Lott stays here in Alaska since I have no use for it in Pennsylvania, and keeps me from having to carry it back and forth.

This is the problem of bear protection. Rifles that are easy to shoot at speed are not the best stoppers, but rifles that are better stoppers are difficult to shoot fast. This also applies to carrying as well ... the easier it is easy to carry, most of the time, the less effective it is, and the harder it is to carry the more effective it is --- taking into account a bigger caliber of course!

I shot my Lott fairly fast for the caliber and limited practice time. I also shot slower this time in the video than I can shoot the Lott, because the range would not permit the target to be posted any closer, which would be defensive shooting in the real world ... so I had to slow a bit to keep the rounds on target at the farther range. In close range such as encountering a bear charge in the bush I can shoot way faster because the room for error is more, as far as accuracy is concerned. If you don't shoot faster there is no sense in carrying because you will already be dead if you take too much time up close. Most folks never clear leather or get their rifle on target in such cases!!! It is not an easy task. You have to walk a bit in the alders or bush to see what I mean. It is a good thing that bear attacks are rare compared to large number of human and bear paths crossing so much up here!

It is fun to shoot no matter ... so just shoot!

Last edited:
Edited video to address a complaint or two

http://youtu.be/YrrILPAcCxQ

Since some folks complained about this video, which I posted from Alaska and was sideways. Now home, I set it to vertical...

The rifle situation is a complicated one for carry there, weight vs. convenience etc. which I will address in another post. It is not as clear cut as one might think.

Big bores+fast = always a good time. Once I was old enough a few years ago to handle my gramps' old .416 rigby in which he told me the story numerous times of how it saved him from a Cape buff in Africa(my grandma likes to correct him in clarifying it was easily 30 yards from him). Those are hard hitters, but an absolute blast to fire at paper and imagine a charging predator of some type. Awesome video and keep the head on a swivel!;)

Once I was old enough a few years ago to handle my gramps' old .416 rigby in which he told me the story numerous times of how it saved him from a Cape buff in Africa

That's very interesting! I love gun stories like that, the old man and his rifle!
Do you remember if it was a Rigby Rifle as well???

I don't believe it was a Rigby rifle, and for the life of me I can't remember who was the manufacturer. Well now that you brought that up it's going to irritate me until I get the chance to go check it out!:D
He has since passed it down to my uncle, and since I'm the most active hunter in the family I'm crossing my fingers it comes along to me sometime.
Other than the devastating recoil at the time I remember it to be an excellent rifle. Just with that old school wooden furniture look you love to see in the new synthetics generation of rifles.

Just with that old school wooden furniture look you love to see in the new synthetics generation of rifles.

It is possible it is a Rigby Rifle, as the .416 Rigby caliber probably was not common for most rife brands back then, as far as I know! No matter what it is, it would be nice to know. I had a .416 Rigby in the CZ back in Colorado, and it was nice. I sold it, should have kept it. It had the Euro-style stock on it.

I'll have to check to confirm as I have literally no clue. It's an awesome cartridge upon the further researching I have done recently to further my hobby, but serves very little use down here in Texas. I had a road trip with a couple buddies to Colorado a few years ago to do some hiking and fishing and I gotta say y'all are livin' right! Loved it! I'm sure if you have any bears around it is a nice gun to have laying around up there. :)

I'm sure if you have any bears around it is a nice gun to have laying around up there

Great bear gun /// big bears! It is also fun to have around to shoot, and to let a few friends pop a round every-so-often!

Back