In a conundrum...help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaMac54

I'm planning on going hog hunting this Monday in Alabama. I've never hunted this particular plot of land, but I am told that there are tons of hogs all over the place.

Here's the issue. There is a mixture of wide-open field space, with thickets of trees and water scattered around in which the hogs bed down. I'm having a hard time deciding which rifle to take.

My SKS is accurate to about 75 yards, and gives you great semiauto second shot capability. I have a Mossberg 100 ATR in 30-06 that obviously has more range, but looking through a scope plus bolt action means slower fire rate. I'm comfortable with both guns.

What would you take?

The semi auto is faster for "unaimed" rapid fire, but anyone should be able to cycle the action on a bolt rifle faster than they can get the sights back on target for "aimed" repeat shots. If you are actually aiming, the real difference is not that great. The bolt rifle does anything the semi does in this case.

I agree with Jim as I would take both. Then once you see the land, decide which to use.

The reason being, what is the definition of "open spaces" there? If it is 5 acres openings between thickets, I would use the SKS. But if you have openings where longer shots are possible, I would use the 30-06.

If for whatever reason this is not possible, I would probably pack up the 30-06 and use it. You can always set the scope to the lowest power so that you have a wide field of view at shorter distances while in the woods, then be able to crank it up if a 200+ yard shot presents itself.

I would probably takes the SKS. This may seems stupid, but it just "seems" like it is a hog slayer. What are you more comfortable with?

I'd take the 30-06 because it's put down power. Though the SKS is better if you have more than one target...

If you're using the meat I'd say SKS. If not use the 30-06.

I'd take both but more than likely end up using the SKS. It has more than enough punch put down a hog and it has the advantage of faster follow up shots. I would guess that it may well be shorter and easier to maneuver in the thick of it as well. Hogs can get up into some thick brush. I'd carry the heaviest caliber handgun you have as well. Seen a lot more hogs up in the palmettos killed with a handgun than rifle. Of course we hunted with dogs who would bay them up and caught plenty of them and took them out alive.

your first shot is the most important.

I say take the SKS but keep breathing when you line up your first shot.

Honestly, unless you're in a dry creek bed (or some other confined space) with the hog, they're probably going to try to escape into the wide open spaces rather than charge you. It's just a prey response to escape first.

Very often 2nd & 3rd follow on shots are over-rated for hunting. If you wound a critter they will be gone, if able. That 1st, well placed shot is where the $$ is made. One shouldn't get ahead of themselves thinking about the next shots until that 1st is in the 'boiler room'.

That said, the quintessential hog gun is a Browning 'Stalker' BAR in 308. The cover may be thick, but in your case I'd lean 30-06 for accurate, knock down, shot placement. As posted, taking the 2 guns until you see the place is a good option.

Personally I would be carrying the .30-06 and not be worried about a follow up shot, knowing where the first one went. Post pics, hunting hogs is one of the things that I really really want to do sometime, and seeing the pics I can live vicariously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back