IMR-4955

ligonierbill

Powder Valley had it in stock. Although I have not used it before, I ran a few QuickLoad checks that showed it is maybe between two of my standbys Re-19 and -22. Times being what they are, I ordered a jug. I was further motivated after loading 50 338 Win Mag that used up the better part of a pound of Re-19.

Anyone using this? Great time to ask after I put my money down, but "it's only money".

I just took delivery on a few pounds today so I haven't done any loads yet, but will hopefully soon. I do have experience with 7977 and it has lived up to the advertising, great velocity, consistency across temperatures and makes bore cleaning notably easier. I just checked a while ago and they still have 4955--including 8 lbrs, I think it's likely a high-quality powder and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if I were you.

Looks like it can be used with 280AI, may give it a try. Looking at Hodgdon's data looks like it works well with 270 WSM as well.

Well, 4955 appears to be a little slow for my 338 Win Mag 200 Nosler AB load, but theoretically (per Quickload) it may do very well in 243 Win and 257 Roberts, maybe 30-06. I found some Winchester 748 at Natchez. Lots of data for that, of course. I should note that my recent vendors, Natchez and Powder Valley, are limiting the order amount but certainly not price gouging.

Maybe this is good for me. It's got me rethinking a number of my loads, conserving my supply of IMR-4350 and Re-19 for those 338 Win Mag/200 NAB loads. Last I looked, Powder Valley still has IMR-4955. Hodgdon has some load data for it, but it is limited, and one 243 load seemed out of wack. Interestingly, QuickLoad calculates it as a bit slower than Re-19 in some applications, faster in others. Don't know how his algorithm works, but it usually gets me close enough to get started. Slowly though; load 5 safe ones and see how it runs. Time consuming, but keeps it interesting.

I have looked at 4955 lately. I am thinking it would be a good powder for the 6.5 Creedmoor if I run out of H-4350 and cannot get anymore. It would probably work pretty well for 270 Winchester too. H-4350 looks promising for both of those cartridges and I currently use H-4350 for both cartridges

How have you folks evaluated 4955 (or maybe it was 4451) and compared it to other powders? I was looking at one or the other, trying to see how it compared to those like H-4350, H4831 but all I could find is manufacturing advertising information which was not really what I was after. If I remember correctly, I believe all I came away with was it is manufactured in the way the CFE powders are, to block copper accumulation.

Do you compare them with respect to minimum and maxiumun charge weights, and associated velocities and pressures, or what other things do you look for?

Last edited:
There is load data out there, but not much. Personally, I've been taking some of my tested loads "calibrated" in QuickLoad, and simply substituting IMR-4955 in the calculation. For example, compared to Re-19 in 338 Win Mag, QL says it's slower to the point that even a 105% full case won't generate the same velocity. Of course, QL is an estimate, and sometimes it is closer to measured data than others. I will be doing some slow workups; load 5 conservatively and see how actual compares. And like most folks, I can only measure velocity.

Of my set, it appears .243 Win, .257 Roberts, 30-06, and maybe 6.5x55 will be good applications for IMR-4955.

There is load data out there, but not much. Personally, I've been taking some of my tested loads "calibrated" in QuickLoad, and simply substituting IMR-4955 in the calculation. For example, compared to Re-19 in 338 Win Mag, QL says it's slower to the point that even a 105% full case won't generate the same velocity. Of course, QL is an estimate, and sometimes it is closer to measured data than others. I will be doing some slow workups; load 5 conservatively and see how actual compares. And like most folks, I can only measure velocity.

Of my set, it appears .243 Win, .257 Roberts, 30-06, and maybe 6.5x55 will be good applications for IMR-4955.
Hodgdon has a fair bit of load data on their reloading data center for the 338 Win MAg and IMR 4955.

Hodgdon has a load for 200 Speer in 338. I am shooting Nosler Accubond 200s, so I will give it a try. Today I tried 5 rounds of a fairly conservative 257 Roberts load of some 117 Hornady seconds Midway sold at a discount. Looks promising, but the 4955 seems to behave more like Reloder 22 than 19. My primary load for the Roberts is a 117 Sierra ProHunter over Re-22, so the IMR-4955 should work.

PS: Although it is a small grain "stick" powder, IMR-4955 meters well.

Last edited:
Back