Imr 4227 power

Joh

I tried some imr 4227 with a 55 gr. Sierra S P . I used 16 gr. And it did very good at 50 yards. A 3 shot group about the size of a nickel. I know it's a faster burning power but know now the velocity. What do you think?

Moderator-
If this violates any rules feel free to delete-no hard feelings.

4227 is a magnum pistol powder as is Blue Dot however there have been individuals who played with them in centerfire rifles. Years ago a fellow with the tag of "Seafire" worked up numerous loads for many cartridges from 223 to 30-06
He took note of maximum loading and warned you off of going past it. Have not seen him online anywhere for a few years however I did download and print many of his load recipes-did they work-yes--do I use them -NO. Too many other powders to use that dont flirt with overpressure.

If you go that route (4227) be aware of what you are potentially doing and try to get away from me on the firing line by at least 2 or 3 benches LOL

I played with them when I was younger and dumber -just don't find the need to do so now

Gary

PS to my original reply---as noted above it is also used in 300 Whisper(BLKT) for subsonic heavy bullets. I played with those too in a bolt action with a suppressor but found better powders - settled on Lil' Gun and H 110 for those 240 gr+ subs

This is where I found the data

Attachments

• reduced_IMG_12082021_084121_(600_x_800_pixel).jpg
    reduced_IMG_12082021_084121_(600_x_800_pixel).jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 85
  • reduced_20210812_83453.jpg
    reduced_20210812_83453.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 75
Right. I wish I still had my copy of that old book. They didn't care if a powder was ideal, they showed what could safely be done with everything they made.

Joh, how did you determine the velocity by shooting that 55gr .223 bullet 50 yards?

The load reference you linked used 17.0gr and delivered a velocity of 2810 with a pressure of 51,200

Four other powders - 3031, 4064, 4895, and 4320 on that list all deliver more velocity and less pressure. Personally, I would have started with IMR4320 -3075 fps at 50,300 (CUP or PSI)

Last edited:
IMR4227 (Improved Military Rifle) powder was developed for smaller rifle cartridges like the .25-20, .32-20 and .22 Hornet. Over the past 80 years it has become popular as a handgun propellant, just as many shotgun powders have. It works very well for low velocity loads in many rifle cartridges but of course it will not achieve the speeds that IMR4198 etc. will reach in the OP’s rifle.

IMR4227 is pretty fast for a 223. Notice you're getting high pressures without high velocity. I use it for 32-20, 218 Bee, 22 Hornet, 357 Mag and 44 Mag. You can use anything you want, but I would find a different powder for a 223.

Joh,

Be cautious with old data. The basic manufacturing process for IMR powders was revised a decade ago, and, additionally, the primers made today are differently formulated than they were when that manual was published. Brass has changed some, too, so it is hard to say exactly how close the performance you'll get with today's components will be. Start low and work up carefully. In general, avoid getting below 60% case fill (70% is better).

markr6754,

Malwarebytes flagged the site at the end of your link as a potential hazard. I don't know why. I am just putting it out there.

IMR4227 is pretty fast for a 223. Notice you're getting high pressures without high velocity. I use it for 32-20, 218 Bee, 22 Hornet, 357 Mag and 44 Mag. You can use anything you want, but I would find a different powder for a 223.
Agreed. I keep it around for .17 and .22 K-Hornet loads. It's just about perfect for those rounds...

Joh,

Be cautious with old data. The basic manufacturing process for IMR powders was revised a decade ago, and, additionally, the primers made today are differently formulated than they were when that manual was published. Brass has changed some, too, so it is hard to say exactly how close the performance you'll get with today's components will be. Start low and work up carefully. In general, avoid getting below 60% case fill (70% is better).

markr6754,

Malwarebytes flagged the site at the end of your link as a potential hazard. I don't know why. I am just putting it out there.
No idea, but I have the pdf copy. Happy to post it if you advise me how. 2.58MB
Majority of the manual is shotgun. My Entreda Cybersecurity software saw nothing suspicious in the site or the download.

If you aren't getting flags for the site, let's just leave it as is. Malwarebytes tends to be a little overprotective at times.

Back