"Impulse" buy . . . . Ruger Mark IV 22/45

Prof Young

Was at the range today. Owner had decided that there were too many guns in the case and had a big sale. New Ruger Mark IV 22/45 bull barrel for $219. Looked up the MSRP ($409) and decided that it should be mine. Will pick up next week. Don't really need another semi auto 22, but over the years I have owned just about every brand of semi-auto 22 out there except Ruger so . . . Ta da.

Life is good.

Prof Young

Mine was an impulse buy too, as was the Viper red dot sight I put on top of it. :)

Fantastic little gun, especially for speed shooting!

Great deal on a great 22 pistol. I would have bought at least one too at that price. My Ruger Standard that I bought new in the mid 70s is still going strong.

Great price. I think you'll like it but with the Mark IV version you missed out on the almost cult-like experience of doing a complete disassembly/reassembly of the previous Marks...you'll just never know. :D

Good luck and please add a range report once you get to shoot it.

I think you did alright. I bought the less desired Mark III 22/45 earlier this year for more money and am very happy with it. It's an accurate shooter.

I double dog dare you to wear it out!
LOL!

I have a Ruger Mark II 22/45. Quite a few years ago, I shot every Monday, Wednesday night, Saturday and Sunday. I'd burn through at least 500 rounds every outing & then some.
In a year I put over 100,000 rounds through that gun.

The only indication the pistol has been used is a teeny tiny wear spot about 1/4 inch long near the muzzle.

I cleaned the gun after every session & never had to replace anything.

Good little guns.

Accurate? I shot it so much it was like an extension of muy arm! :D

I'd take a 1911 and put one shot into a piece of copy paper, then use the Ruger to see how many rounds I could put through that .452" hole at 25 feet.

Another favorite past time on Sunday mornings when the Sun was nice and bright was to take a wire brush to a penny. Then cradle the penny between a couple staples like this \0/ on the 50 yard range. I'd sit down on the bench and w/out resting the gun on anything, see if I could hit that penny with a magazine (10 rounds) or less. It got so that by the end of Summer I could run three pennies with a single magazine.
Might sound like bragging, but, when the Sun hits that wire brushed penny, it shines like a beacon & it's not anywhere near as difficult as it sounds.

I paid a whopping $199 for that gun back in the early 90's - so - $219 for one today is a real bargin!

I've had a MK III 22/45 since shortly after they were available. They are a once in a lifetime purchase as they seem to last forever. I paid $299 for mine and don't feel I overpaid but the same store did run them for $179.99 shortly after the Mk IV came out. You did well and you will like it forever. Since you haven't had a Mark before, you won't appreciate the hugh improvement in stripping it down to clean.

They are going for $349 around here---so I'd say that's a great deal.

Have a MkIII version of the same pistol that's a good little shooter---it even shoots better than my pricey all stainless MkIII bull/target model.

I impulse buy all the time, two days ago, more or less on a whim, I bought a '37 dated S/42 Luger.

For two bills and some change, you done real good.

So yesterday I decided to field strip my Ruger Standard and I was thinking boy it would be nice to have the Mark IV for that. When all said and done it was not that bad to put back together again but I did watch a video for it. I rarely field strip it anyway. Maybe next time I won't need to watch a video again LOL. It is just that the little hammer strut trips me up. I have to remember to keep hammer up and strut out of the way for the insert of the pin and then hammer down with strut over the bar to put it all back together. Should be easy peasy. :D:

When I bought my Ruger .22/45 lr I had went to my LGS to buy the Ruger Standard .22 lr which I did buy. So I did buy my.22/45 on impulse.

That’s ok, as I just remembered the HSS doesn’t work with the Standard/Mark l series. So enjoy your time off. ;)

Got it and Shot it . . . Happy Man!

Shooters:

I picked up the 22/45 Thursday and put well over 100 round down range. First impressions are excellent. Clearly is as accurate as I am. Tight groups. Runs flawlessly.

To those who noted the problems with take down, this model is the "one button" variety. Clear the chamber, put the safety on, push the button below the slide and poof the thing is apart. Gotta love that.

I posted above that I'd never had a Ruger 22 semi-auto pistol, but forgot that I had this same gun in the lite version. I was hard to take down and reassemble. Pass it along, mostly because I couldn't shoot it well.

The Ruger Mark IV 22/45 with the bull barrel is a worthwhile purchase. I got it out the door for a touch less than $240. I think this is a keeper.

Will try to remembe to take a pic and post later.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Back