Impressions and Range Report - Canik TP9EC

flyboy015

Bought a Canik TP9 Combat Elite, imported by Century Arms. This thing came jam-packed in a hard plastic case so full of add-ons and freebies, it is difficult to close it with everything inside!
attachment.php

Note that several optic baseplate adapters are included :eek: as well as two magazines (15 round flush and 18 round extended).

attachment.php

Fits my larger hands like a glove. Ergonomics are superb, with plenty of room to get the web of your dominant hand very far forward. One of the first things I did was take off the flared magazine well- which gave my little finger a lot more purchase and comfort. Until I get into pistol matches, I don't have much use for it.

So far, in three range sessions, I've shot 350-400 rounds through it. Occasionally the slide will not lock back- but I believe this is due to my dominant thumb riding too high and more or less exerting constant downward pressure on the extended slide release...it doesn't take much pressure to depress, and actually functions very well, unlike some pistols I've handled.

attachment.php

Best group was 14/15 inside 2" at 10 yards, with one flyer that was definitely not the gun's fault. 3" 15-round groups at this range are much more common, especially when I shoot with any measure of speed. I added a rubberized grip from Traction Grips, which is awesome for the relatively smooth handle. Stippling would probably be better yet.

The real pluses with this handgun in my opinion are its trigger, specifically the reset, which can't be much more than 1/16". The pull weight is pretty light- I actually wouldn't mind it being a little heavier, though I don't have any intention of carrying this beast. And the trigger safety is very comfortable, being flat and wide. The gun is very mild in terms of muzzle flip; very soft shooting and it just balances well. The fiber optic front sight and blacked-out rear sights are phenomenal, though I would appreciate a little less air space on either side of the front post when aiming.

The value, with all the accessories included, has got to be one of the best on the market currently. The included paddle retention holster is okay...if/when I get into matches, I will definitely be purchasing a proper hybrid OWB without mechanically-actuated retention.

Speaking of value, according to Century Arms' website, the MSRP for the TP9 Elite Combat is a whopping $849.99. Prepper Gun Shop had it for $620, shipping included. My LGS wanted $769.99 for it...so PGS it was. I ordered around 11:00 AM several Fridays ago...got the shipping confirmation about 4:00 PM the same day...and picked it up Monday at my designated FFL holder. That's pretty much two day shipping, ND to PA for a sweet $20. I hate the thought of putting LGS's out of business but with savings like that? Yeesh.

Now...how do I tell my wife that I'm going to need to spend another $800-$900 for a suppressor and red dot optic? :D

Attachments

• IMG_0210-768x1024.jpg
    IMG_0210-768x1024.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 243
  • MVIMG_20190311_183123-759x1012.jpg
    MVIMG_20190311_183123-759x1012.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG950130~2-768x576.jpg
    IMG950130~2-768x576.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 245
I've really enjoyed my TP9sfx. It came with a Viper reflex sight that I've come to appreciate more and more. Yes the trigger reset is short and the trigger pull light. I experienced an incident while a friend, shooting my pistol, loose a string of unintended shots at a "full auto" type burb. Otherwise the gun has been excellent.

I also have an extra threaded barrel that came with the TP9 but have not looked into a silencer. My high opinion of the gun may be the motivating factor to cause me to get one.

Back