Importing Handgun into US

Over 15 years ago my Filipino grandfather passed away. He worked his whole life in the Philippine National Police. I recently learned that my grandmother still has his service pistol and doesn't know what to do with it. I want to bring it to the US.

The pistol is not valuable (its a third-world copy of a S&W K-Frame) and is very rusty in poor condition from being in a tropical thatched roof for 15 years. I really only want it for sentimentality purposes, as he relied upon that pistol with his life and used it on several occasions in gunfights.

I've heard that I need to fill out a ATF Form 6 from a Dealer to import it. Can I go through any regular FFL dealer? Also, how should my family in the Philippines send it so it can go through customs appropriately? Is all this worth the hassle? Has anyone else done anything like this?

Wow, sounds harder than I thought. Could cost around $600 or more for a rusty gun that I only want to put in a display case and pass on to my children. :(

I haven't completely ruled it out though.

Thanks Peggysue.

Your best bet is to contact BATF and thoroughly explain the situation to them. There may be exceptions made for family heirlooms and/or items that have a sentimental connection.

One option would be to have the barrel and action welded shut, making the gun inoperable; It might be easier to convince BATF to allow importation.

I'm guessing that it is an old Armscor, although I have seen a few old Colts on my trips over. Where did he serve?

Thanks all,

gyvel, I believe its either an Armscor copy of a S&W K frame in .38 special or a Spanish copy of one. My grandmother is too afraid to touch it, and tell me what it is for sure. He was a policeman in a rural area near Dipolog on the island of Mindanao (Southern Philippines).

Welding the barrel would sure be a shame, but it already might be inoperable by how much its rusted.

Do you have any other adult male family back in PH? I'd see if they can't secure it and hold on to it.

That way it stays in the family.

Similar story...
Last place I rented was a townhouse, my Landlord knew I was into guns and asked me to give him a value on a Spanish copy of a S&W 38spl revolver. He had inherited it from his father as he wanted to give it to his adult son.

I looked it up in my copy of the Blue Book of Gun Values. It was worth approx. $125. I told him jokingly - might go buy an older S&W revolver that has some value and pass that on to your son. They will never know the difference...

"Your best bet is to contact BATF and thoroughly explain the situation to them. There may be exceptions made for family heirlooms and/or items that have a sentimental connection."

There are no exceptions.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-guides-importation-verification-firearms-ammunition-and-implements-war-import

"One option would be to have the barrel and action welded shut, making the gun inoperable; It might be easier to convince BATF to allow importation."

The ATF approved way to "demill" a firearm is at LEAST 2 TORCH cuts removing at LEAST 0.25" of metal. I would suggest contacting BATFE's technical branch on this as certain firearms have rather specific demil requirements.

Since the pistol is in poor condition and only valued for sentimental reasons would it matter for importing if it were rendered non-functional?

Ask your questions of the people who will hold the rest of your life hostage if you screw it up: Call ATF & discuss with THEM!
Denis

You asked if the firearm could be rendered inoperable, yes it could. However just welding it shut, welding a plug in the barrel and welding the barrel to the frame does not cut it here in the US. It does in most of Europe especially the UK. Here the firearm must be de-milled, as I mentioned above. Here is what a de-milled pistols look like...

Attachments

• Demilled-SmithWesson-e1446466799122.jpg
    Demilled-SmithWesson-e1446466799122.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 32
  • vq09wy.jpg
    vq09wy.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Back