IMI TZ 80 7.62x51 Ammo safe or not?

Paladin1963

Some years ago, I had purchased a can (500 rounds) of NATO 7.62 ammo. I was taking inventory noting the head stamp and lot numbers (T Z 80, Lot 9-80 - the markings on the ammo can match the head stamp on the case).

I have found this particular cartridge the subject of much controversary. From my understanding it is Israeli manufactured by IMI which from a firearms standpoint is very reputable.

However the T Z head stamp ammo I am finding a lot of discussion to the effect that the ammo is not safe, that it suffers from material quality in the case (bad brass) and is prone to breakage when fired.

So I ask you for your thoughts. I no longer have my 308 rifle and was considering selling the ammo, but I don't want to sell it if it is not safe.

Thoughts? Have you ever shot this brand/stamp ammo? Is the IMI TZ 80 ammo safe to shoot and therefore sell?

Its crap. I don't know if its unsafe, but if it was made right to start with, it got stored under conditions that allowed it to degrade.

Friend of mine bought 500 rnds some years back TZ 80-81-82 headstamps. One of the rare times he just picked up ammo without examining it first.

came loose in a cardboard box with a plastic bag inside the box. The bag was crumbling and falling apart. There was dirt mixed in with the ammo.

The ammo LOOKED ok, once you wiped the sand and dust off.

Went to the range with his AR 10, shot 100 rnds, or rather tried to. Everything fed fine. 11 of the rounds did not fire. Did not fire on restrike, either. Of the rounds that did fire, all hit the 200yd gong regularly none missed, so accuracy was acceptable for that.

However, 17 of the cases cracked on firing and at the base, not the neck. We didn't have a complete head separation but there were some that almost got there.

Pulled down the rest. Many had powder clumped together some with white showing, several had powder clumps stuck on the base of the bullet ad blue-green from the copper.

Cleaned up, the pulled bullets were fine. The powder and the brass was tossed.

If I were going to sell some of that ammo, I'd be sure to tell any buyer it was only good for the bullets and should be pulled down, NOT fired.

Hope this helps you..

Back