IMI Timberwolf

rgpgr

Inactive
Hello there, I'm cleaning up and sighting in a Timbewolf in 357 cal.. Is there a specific grain bullet at X fps. that works with the factory sights? At 50, 100, 150, 200, and 250 meters I would like to have the load that works without buying several boxes of different ammo finding out. Thanks

Last edited:
I don't think so.

You will need to try a few brands to find out what is grouping best if you plan on shooting .357's out to 250yards. Once you have found an accurate load, learn your sights with that load.

Velocities and drop charts listed for most .357 loads you see will be based on results from pistol barrels. Your rifle will give you a bit more velocity (and less drop) than you see listed.

Sellior Bellot makes a couple of reasonably priced loads that group well from my pistols and .357 trapper rifle. Might be worth trying.

I Would like to help you but I am in the dark on this one.

By the way grats on the rifle, that is one of my dream guns along with a 550 magnum lever action :eek:

Thanks guys but I'm hoping to find someone who has already been through this with the timberwolf. I have ballastic tables for pistol and rifle in 357. The Timberwolf has five steps on the rear sight that are fixed. I had a reply from Uzi Talk Forum that said "maybe" the 158 grain would be a good place to start since that round was widely used over the world when the timberwolf came out. I'll wait a while longer. Someone might save me alot of time, money, and rifle wear if they know for sure.

The elevation notches on your sight were not designed around a single load.

Find out what she likes best, then buy a whole lot more of it before ammo prices go up again;)

pump

The .357 levers are popular, so a pump .357 should be more the same.

I zero my .357 lever , these days, on at 75 yds. Used to go to 100, but found the distances I was shooting things at, 75 put the slug closer to line of sight.

Played around with a wide variety of bullet weights, and am shooting 158 JHP at full power presently. That gives fair velocity, are readily available, and does not sell the rifle short on power as a lighter bullet might. By that I mean, the 125 +/- clan are fast and explosive, but not really hog and deer bullets. I can do near anything with a 158 that I could do with a 125, but not viceversa.

Shoot the rifle a lot and get back to us. I always wanted one.

I've owned my Timberwolf for over 20 years now. Wouldn't part with it for diamonds. According to the manual, they were zeroed at the factory with 158 gr. .357 mag. ammo at a range of 50 M.

The lowest "step" on the rear sight elevator is for that range. Each additional step marks another 50 M, up to 250 M , or five steps total.

As a practical matter, I've found that at "normal" plinking/small game ranges out to around 35 yds the sights work just fine with most 158 gr. .38 Spl. loads, with many "+P" loads having a POI very, very close to that of factory 158 gr. .357s.

My personal general purpose/plinking handload is a 158 gr. LSWC over 4.8 gr. of Unique in .357 cases, essentially a warmish "+P .38 Spl." load. It shoots closely enough to the stock sights' POA out to 50 yds or so to dance the pop cans or drop the bunnies regularly.

P.S.: The only ammo caveats in the manual concern the use of "pointed" rounds and CCI "Blazer"s ("Use of CCI BLAZER (aluminum case) ammunition is not recommended."). Personally, I construe RN, FMJ ammo as being "pointed" in any tubular magazine firearm and steer clear of them. YMMV, but having seen pics of the results of using (in one case) 150 gr. PSP .35 Rem. ammo in a Marlin 336 I prefer not to roll the dice where my Personal Favorite fingers are concerned.

Last edited:
Back