Imhsa

I just want to make sure....

of the guns used.
Currently, I was thinking of me and my 2 kids sharing a scoped Ruger 10/22T
and open site S&W 686+. I would shoot .357 and the kids would use .38sp.

IHMSA is international HANDGUN metallic silhouette association. You need to shoot in the rilfe competitions for that. Those fall under NRA smallbore. You would be in the unlimited class I believe with that rifle.

The 686 could be shot in Field Pistol. You really dont need that much gun but it can be used. The most common gun in Field Pistol is the 22 hornet. I have shot revos out there. Just find a club and go shoot.

Is the Hornet your referred to the name of a pistol or the Caliber?

I've never heard of a .22 Hornet Caliber pistol or a pistol called "hornet".

I understand the 686 is more gun than I need. But I want to start with the guns I have. I have to see how far we go before I start investing.

I did find a club. The next next small bore & field pistol we'll be able to attend
is 08/06 at the Hat Creek Rifle and Pistol Club.
Thanks

22 hornet is just a round somewhere between a 22lr and 222. It is small and has no recoil. It is used in field pistol since it is basically flat to 100 yards.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/22hornet.htm

Thus you dont have to adjust your sights. I would try and stick with something that is as flat as possible. That or something that shots really light. Go out and zero your gun in at the various distances. Just record the number of click on your sights that you need to adjust for each distance start from all the way tight. This gives you the same sight picture each time at every distance. I really liked shooting IHMSA and might start doing it again sometime.

Back