• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Images are gone

stagpanther

Not sure what the reason is--but all images that formerly displayed on the forum in-line with threads now only show links. Was something recently changed to the site settings?

thanks!

Did you go directly to the post with the images from a link to that post? We just discovered the same thing you described, and are trying to figure it out. We did find that if you navigate to the post by bringing up the thread and then go to the post, the images show up properly.

On my browser--chrome in windows 10--it's as if a button was flicked and suddenly no in-line images at all show--regardless of how I navigate to them. I'll try other browsers--might be a browser issue--just seems odd that it worked for a year or two and the "poof!" : )

Just double-checked and the images are back on chrome--not sure what changed--but disregard my last message. Sorry to bother. : )

Edit: non-ssl embedded images are no longer being converted to links, until I have a chance to revisit this in the future. If you'r browsing via SSL, this means the SSL icon will not appear or will give a ! warning symbol if the thread has non-ssl embedded images in it. Sorry, but the confusion created by auto converting them is more of a problem apparently than loading insecure content.

I'm going to try to opportunistically convert http to https for embedded image hosts known to support ssl, which will reduce instances of mixed content, but won't eliminate them.

My Kaspersky internet security throws multiple data requests from each page log-on--the problem has actually gone from bad to worse since none of my browsers show images now--even when I disable Kaspersky for the TFL site. My images do not require a security certificate AFAIK--they are simple http transfer. If you're not hearing from other users I'll assume the problem is on my end.

Back