I'm trying to choose my first weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emin

I'm currently gathering information on variable semi-autos and so far have narrowed my choices down to Sig or Beretta. Could someone recomend one over the other and explain why? I intend to have it for self/home defense and as CCW. Among Sigs, I've been overall impressed by the reputation of P239, and among Berettas, I'll probably have to stick with 8000 series. Can you please also include the best prices for these guns (I'm planing to get a brand new one) and, possibly, the source I could order them from for that price? Thanks.

They're both good choices. I'd go with the one that is most comfortable to shoot. Which one fits your hand better? Which is more ergonomic for you personally? Try them both out. Perhaps there is a range where you can rent both. Don't worry too much about superb accuracy with the range guns, they probably have a lot of rounds through them and may not be as accutate as they once were. Instead, get a feel for which one you like better.

fal308 said it very well, and I'll just back him up. The way a pistol shoots in your hand is the key to which one you should buy. You have chosen two brands with excellent reputations for accuracy as well as durability and either will serve you quite well.

------------------
TJS

As you know, Sig 239s are less pricey than the other Sig models, and should go for around $430-450 at gun shows. This was 2 months ago, and I'm not sure whether the increased shipping costs and lawsuits have taken a toll yet. I paid $499 for my Beretta Cougar 8045. So the 40 Cal should cost slightly less. Both guns are top of the line, but I would have to say: go with the Sig. Also take a look at the P229 in 40, as it has a great grip. This one is my favorite gun.

I'll second fal308's recommendation as sound as wise.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

The good news is they're both great guns. I would offer a third alternative at the low priced end, and that is the CZ 85. I've benn impressed with the ones I've handled and they're about $100 less than the SIG or Beretta. That said, I own 3 9mm SIGs (239, 226, 228) and love them all. Their overall performance, reliability and accuracy is simple excellent. I also have an 8045 Cougar, and I'm right fond of that one too, for all the same reasons. Lest you think me a dillitant, let me net it out as I see it - for home defense my top choice would be the 8045 (.45 thump)or 226 (15+1 is nice in the dark). For concealed carry I'd go with the 239 (size and handling) followed by the 228 or 8045 (they're roughly the same size, though the 228 offers 13+1).

Of course none of that matters if the gun isn't comfortable for you, so that should be your 1st priority, then get thee to the range and practice, practice, practice (they're all fun to shoot!) so that you are A), a proficient marksman, and B), the gun's manual of arms is second nature to you. FWIW, have fun with your research and good luck, M2

PS - fro price comparison try the following: http://www.bachmangun.com/ http://www.kyimports.com/ http://www.fourseasonsguns.com/

CZ-85 or CZ-75 (CZ-75B). I was more than
impressed when I compared CZ-75B to any
other 9mm. In simple terms, when you
buy CZ-75B (cuurently sold here in the U.S.
as a Turkish contract overrun), you buy
$500 pistol for $300 (lately it went up in
price to $350). J&G sells them a bit cheaper
than CZ-USA.

Emin
just curious why you have ruled out the possibility of owning a Glock,or Browning for your first handgun?C.Z.s are great guns for the money as well!Especially for a first semi. auto pistol a Glock would be my choice for two reasons
1.)Ease of operation(i.e. trigger safety)
2.)Ease of familiarity.The ingeniously simple design lends itself to newbies.
If I didn't urge you to explore them as an option, I would probably feel guilty.I would have to add that the best all time
"first handgun" is a point and shoot Revolver!S&W,Colt or Taurus would be my only conciderations there.Oh yes Taurus makes a fine semi. auto as well,I hope something here helps!

------------------
David
www.tactec.net

Thanks to everybody for the great info. Great links, Mike. Regarding why I prefer a pistol and not a revolver -- I used a Makarov many years back and felt very comfortable with it. It's a good overall gun. I wouldn't, however, trust it as a CCW for reliability is my first concern.

Ice Man, to tell you the truth, I would definitely buy a few different models, but for the practical (and financial) purposes, I'll have to stick with one for now.
One more thing, what would be a good price for:
1. Sig P226
2. Sig P239

I'm thinking of buyng a NIB model. Thanks!

Do give the Taurus line a look as the PT 92/99 is a direct Beretta copy and many of their other handguns incorperate Sig features that you may like. I've found quality to be excellent plus they are usually cheaper in cost than their european counterparts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back