I'm thinking of getting a Sharps 1874...

Flatbush Harry

I was looking at several Pedersoli's at Cabela's last week and watched a friend pop off a Q Down Under version this past weekend. As I ramp up my infatuation with the 19th Century, a Sharp's in .45-70 is calling my name. A pair of Uberti Open Tops or Conversions and a Sharps and I'll be good to go in Silver Senior Frontiersman. The tough question is whether to go for a C Sharps, a Pedersoli or a Shiloh. Ah, decisions, decisions...

:D

FH

Two things that should be American made. 1 motorcycle, Harley. 2 Sharps cartridge rifle .I like Either one made in Big Timber, Montana. I have three C- Sharps and they have served me well over the years.

I was out to my rifle club today assessing the silhouette and the high power ranges. Steel out to 500 meters (547 yards) and high power 200 to 1,000 yards...I think a good Sharps replica will do me well on both. The silhouette shooters invited me out to shoot with them...they told me I'd do best with a .30-30...TBD.

Harry, Coloradan

What kind of silhouette?
Highpower MS is shot all offhand.
BPCR MS is shot off cross sticks except for the chickens which are offhand.
Either way, a .30-30 would not be a good choice. It is ok for handgun silhouette with a pistol at 200 metre rams.

This was a Cowboy Silhouette match. All the shooters had lever actions, most .30-30s. Silhouette shooting is a discipline I've never tried.

FH

Howdy

A bunch of years ago I was in the market for a Sharps. The Shiloh was really out of my price range, so I started looking at the Pedersolis. At first, I too wanted the Quigley model with fancy checkering, pewter forend cap, and all the other extras. But after examining a bunch I decided that the fancy stuff was not as well executed as it should be. The checkering I examined on a few did not meet properly, and the pewter end cap was pinned on, rather than the way it should be, cast in place on the stock. And the pin was not well finished, it looked like an eyesore. So I scaled back my expectations and started looking for a bit more of a plain jane model, rather than pay for fancy features I would be annoyed with every time I looked at them.

I decided to get the Pedersoli Silhouette model. It was on sale at Dixie Gun Works at the time for $800. It had every thing I wanted; double set triggers, plain stock with a pistol grip, and a shotgun style butt plate, chambered for 45-70.

This model is on sale again at Dixie right now, but the price has gone up a bit.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_92_184&products_id=2576

A couple of things to consider. First off, go for a 45-70. Forget the fancy calibers like 45-110 and 45-120, at least for your first Sharps. If you are shooting Smokeless, the 45-70 will do everything that a 45-110 pr 45-120 will do, because you can stuff all the Smokeless into a 45-70 that you will ever need. If you are planning to shoot Black Powder, there is more information and more components available for 45-70 than for any other cartridge.

The second thing to think about is the buttstock. The crescent style bullstocks look great, but unless you know how to shoot one, hiking it out further off the shoulder than most modern shooters are used to, the recoil will hurt like the dickens as the points of the crescent dig into the meat of your shoulder. I shoot crescent shaped buttstocks all the time in CAS with 44-40, but it is a lot different with a heavy recoiling rifle. Think carefully about what kind of buttstock you want.

I got a [Shiloh] Long Range Express from Wolfgang Droge back in `81 when
he was in Farmingdale NY. It is an absolute jewel of finished/polished metal
and wood. Smooth as silk. It was a 45-3¼ that I had a devil of a time
getting to shoot satisfactorily until I settled on a Tom Ballard paper-patched
mould cast at its longest/heaviest (darn near 600gr) and 92gr of 1Fg powder
kicked by 7gr of IMR4759. Then it shot 1" groups (But was PITA to load for).

Last month I absconded with (actually jumped on an offer from a fellow club
member for) a 10-year old Pedersoli #3 Sharps in 45-70. That's proven the
best deal I've made in many years.

No, the Perdersoli's not the breathtakingly-polished jewel that Wolfgang's rifle is.
But it's right in all the right places, quality work/metal/wood, much easier to load for
w/ grooved/lubed Postells and Paul Jones' Creedmores; and also starting to
group well enough [1½"] literally first shot right out of the [10-year old] box that
"...I think I'll keep it." ;)
(100 yds)
1z2k7cz.jpg

Last edited:
Back