I'm thinking $450 is too much.....

Jack19

I'm looking at a used, but in excellent condition, *&* Model 66 with a 2 inch barrel.

Local gunshop has one for $450 that I think is a heck of a lot of money for a used one. I'm mostly an auto guy so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

If it was cherry, a Model 66 with a 2 1/2" barrel would fetch $350 around here, maybe $400 if it came with the box and papers and in absolutely flawless shape.

They're nice revolvers, but four and a half bills is a bit steep, as much as I like old *&* wheelguns.

Well, just my humble opinion, but $450 for a used 2.5" S&W 66 is INSANE! I would laugh out loud if anyone tried to sell one for that price here.

$300 - 350 would be the top price i would even consider. Too many good police trade-ins out there. Check out KY Imports website and then go get a local dealer to order one of those for you.

Well, just my humble opinion, but $450 for a used 2.5" S&W 66 is INSANE! I would laugh out loud if anyone tried to sell one for that price around here. Too many good police trade-ins out there. Check out KY Imports website and then go get a local dealer to order one of those for you. $300 - 350 would be the top price i would even consider.

BTW, this is a GREAT revolver and a very good general use defensive and target gun. I had one that i carried for a few year. Have a S&W 19 2.5" now.

Howdy Again Folk's,

Here in the valley's of central Alabama, the going rate for a
LNIB S&W model 66 would be close to $325.00 max; as
short barreled .357 magnums are not in big demand here.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

I live in SOUTH CAROLINA

And that gun down here would be $300 or so.

YOU NEED TO FIND ANOTHER PLACE to spend your hard earned money ! BEST....'dewey'

Well, thanks to all of you I saved a lot of money. I went back to the dealer, asked to see the the 66 and then looked at the price tag. All the while I can see the salesman's eyes gleaming.

I did my best Oscar performance about how the price was too high, giving reasons why, and asked if $450 was the best they could do. He disappears to a computer at the front of the store and looks it up on the computer. A few minutes pass and I pretend to look at other guns.....

He comes back and says $409 plus tax is the best they can do. I say "You're kidding right?," and being to point out that the 66 has been shot some, the bore is very good but it IS a used gun. And, it's obviously been carried some....I then say I'd be willing to go $325-350 out the door.

He says wait a minute and disappears again. A few minutes later he comes back and says he can't do better than $399 + tax and won't budge from there.

I'm going to another dealer tomorrow to find a decently priced .357. If you're shopping in Western Charlotte, beware of inflated prices. Can't figure out how they sell anything there.

Thanks to everyone for the revolver education.

Back