I'm stupid, or just lost.

menotseeu

Inactive
Hope this is where I should be placing this thread.
Problem. I have a Browning Citori I bought years ago. It is a 12 gauge over/under.
I'm looking for the year the shotgun was manufactured and have run into a problem.
My serial numbers don't seem to match ANY of the Browning's on the Browning list.
http://www.browning.com/customerservice/dategun/detail.asp?id=32
I have two lines of numbers
RTJ53
Can any of you experts help an old guy out?
There is no list for the RTJ53

The 10371 is the serial#

The RT shows 76 for 1976.

The J53 does not exist.

It has an I53 (12ga 3")
JB3
and a few other 12ga variations.

Are the letters/numbers clear?
I suppose it could be a vaiation of one of those
or they left out the J53.
However, it was made in 1976.

Yes.I'm sure of the letters and number's. I looked at it under a 5" magnifying glass that has a florescent bulb around the glass and clamps to your desk.
I checked, and double checked. They are actually very clear.
I guess that's where I'm bewildered. I have a gun that doesn't exist according to Browning.

The following was clipped from Shotgunworld website from 2005:

whitefish
"I deciphered the Citori I just purchased using the "Date Your Gun" section at the Browning website. Look under the "Services" section.

I could figure mine out to year, but not model of Citori. The "J53" suffix was not at Browning's site. One call to Browning and I found out what I suspected. A 3" chamber Hunter (field) model.

Happy Hunting"

I hope this helps you. I'm going to add this to my serialization chart. I'm willing to believe it without calling Browning.

Thanks much guys. I'm with you Bob. I'm going to believe it also. It's a pretty simple shotgun. Just the basic, without any bells or whistles. I guess I should assume it is a 1976 ?

Back