I'm new to this, but want to compete, please help!

AR15Lefty

Inactive
I am definitely a gun lover, but i would like to take it to the next level.. My choice weapon is an AR-15 and I'm looking for shooting competitions involving that and maybe a side-arm... If any of you have ever seen the movie "Swat", when they compete on the shooting range and it's timed, that is something I would be interested in. Any input will help, Thanks!

There are a number of 3-gun (rifle, pistol, shotgun) competitions. I've shot those sanctioned by the United States Practical Shooting Association. The scoring is a balance of accuracy and speed, with some matches alternating weapon types, and others mixing them. It is challenging, and fun.
http://www.uspsa.org/

Thanks Rick, I looked at the site and match schedules and all I'm seeing are handgun competitions. Is it rare to find a combination competition of assault rifle/ side-arm?

Some clubs run 3-gun matches, and some don't. I live within an hour of four USPSA clubs, and none of them have regular 3-gun, but if I want to drive another hour, there are two that do. Check into the individual clubs in your area. You will likely find only regional and national championship matches on the USPSA website.

I'd show up at a club and ask about 3-gun. I didn't know there were any 3-gun matches going on this area until I'd been a member of my local club for almost a year. Then one day out of the blue I got an email newsletter that was sent out to the group list with dates for 3-gun matches; they just weren't very well publicized.

I wouldn't get too hung up on finding only rifle competitions. If you give pistol matches a try, you might find you really enjoy them. They're easier to put on in a lof of places; centerfire rifles aren't allowed in the local indoor range where we shoot weekly USPSA stages, for instance.

Don't be afraid to just show up out of the blue. People will be glad you're there!

Find a local club that does IPSC/USPSA practical shooting matches. On the subject of that movie "SWAT" if anybody tries to teach you that you need to learn to do a somersault with a loaded gun to be "tactical" like the idiot in the movie run away very fast and never go back there. I'm still trying to figure out what the hell that maneuver was about.

Back