I'm new to BP & would like some advice.

V4Vendetta

I believe that according to NC law*, BP pistols can be bought at 18. Is this true? If it is, are these a good brand**? If not a good brand, what is?

Also, how do you load a BP pistol? What's a good caliber for HD & plinking?

Is Black Powder shooting very dangerous? I heard of one guy getting his hand blew off:eek: . And he was a Marine with training. These are the only hands I have & I'm very attached to them.

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions. Thanks for the help.

*http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

**http://www.uberti.com/firearms/paterson.tpl

I believe that according to NC law*, BP pistols can be bought at 18. Is this true?

The easiest way to find out is to call a local gunshop and ask them. You don't have to buy it from them, but you don't have to tell them that. If there is a legal way to sell you one, they should know.
If you want to double check on any info. they give you, call the state firearms unit with the state (or county) police (who performs the background checks). They won't usually steer a person wrong,
not on purpose anyway. Then there is always the local police too, but be more wary of receiving misleading info. from them in some places.

37 views & nobody has any ideas?

Was that enough to get you going? The only point that I would question in Choy's Primer is when he talks about the size of caps...According to an old Colt pamphlet I have, you get a better fit with caps that have to be pinched at the bottom to make them stay on.

I have .36 and .44 caliber. They are both great calibers to shoot. Of course, .44 uses more powder and lead, but you get the added power. For plinking? Either will do. You have to decide if you want an open framed Colt revolver or a full framed Remington - again, both are great.
As far as black powder being dangerous? 125 people die every day, day after day, in car accidents in this country but we all still drive. Treat BP with respect and you'll be fine.

Uberti

The Ubertis are about the best quality of production black powder pistols. Examine those and then you will see any flaws in cheaper brands. I would not get a brass framed model if you plan to shoot it alot. Brass is softer than steel, obviously, and under firing things can stretch to make tolerances change and may end up with a loose gun sooner than you would like. I can't see anyone blowing up a black powder pistol unless they are dumb enough to put something like smokeless or flash powder in the gun and bust it. Black powder revolvers have a definite limit as to how much black powder can go in them, and still seat the bullet(ball) on top. Therefore it is virtually impossible to overload them with black powder or a proper bp substitute. That is, good replicas that are modern made, not original guns, which should only be shot after a professional inspection. Old guns tend to rust and deteriorate and be made of questionable steels, or even iron. I would recommend you get ahold of a Dixie Gun Works catalog. They have all kinds of information about loading blackpowder, and neat stuff for sale. I have a steel framed 44 cal Remington, and for fun, a little 32 cal. brass framed Remington pocket revolver. I shy away from brass frames, but this one was cheap, and like new, and the small 32 loads will not stress it unduly. Don't overlook the 32 or 36 cal. revolvers for fun shooting, unless you want to do some hunting with a big 44 or something. But the guns require careful and immediate cleaning to prevent rust damage after firing. The instructions with the guns should give basic loading and safety info to start with, anyway. As for age limits on BP guns, I don't know of any for a specific state. Maybe 18. I think you can even mail order them, still. Have fun but be safe.

Go get yourself an 1858 New Army Remington replica BP Rev..if cost is of a concern order from Cabelas andget the Pietta 8" .44 cal 1858. You'll be very happy with one.

59T.jpg

Don't be scared off by the suggested retail price- who pays anything close to that?

For accuracy ,durability, and power you won't go wrong with Ruger's Old Army.

V4, the colt replicas are nice, but I prefer the remington. The remington is easier to take the cylinder out. I like having a top strap over the cylinder, as well. The pieta, which I believe makes the cabela's line, is a very nice piece.
I own a Uberti, and have compared it to a few pietas. The uberti, in my limited experience is a little nicer. It is also more expensive, as a rule.

I would get a 44 remington 1858 from either manufacturer. Later, you can add a conversion cylinder in 45 long colt. I own a R&D cylinder and it is really slick. Cartridges loaded thus must not exceed cowboy loads.

For cap and ball, I use a .451 ball and black powder, caps are #10. #11 will work, but they are loose. I shoot 3f black, and usually keep the charges light...20-25 grains. You can substitute pyrodex or other bp replacement, but read the directions carefully! Make sure to use bore butter, or crisco over the ball, or use a lubed felt wad between the charge and ball. This will help keep the fouling soft, and allow you to shoot longer.

Cleaning is accomplished by hot soapy water, or you can use a cleaner sold for cleaning black powder guns. Make sure that the revolver is spotless, and then a light coating of wonder lube. Black powder guns that are neglected will rust very quickly.

I won't render an opinion on NC law, as I am not an attorney. I would suggest contacting your state police or local pd for an opinion. Muzzleloaders are not considered firearms by the ATFE, but your local laws may consider them so.

I hope this helps you, good luck!:)

Back