I'm looking for information regarding a Sempert & Krieghoff suhl 8 x 57 mauser

jeff1855

Inactive
My father recently passed down a Sempert&Krieghoff Suhl 8x57 mauser to me and I am attempting to determine its age or anything regarding the rifle's history. At this point, all is know is that my father's uncle obtained it during the war, and from what I've been able to determine from early research is that the Suhl factory was destroyed during the war. Does anyone know of any sites or books i can use to conduct the research. Additionally, I am looking for information on ammunition availability and if there are any scope mounts produced that would fit the rifle's existing attachment points. Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can provide.

Is it a bolt action, single shot, double, drilling? All three were made by Sempert Kreighoff. They were typically high end rifles and very well made. Many were hioghly engraved works of art. We need pictures.

Before you shoot it you need to find out which 8x57 it is. IS or JS, I have seen older Kreighoff rifles chambered in both. One has a .318 diameter bore, the other is .323. Wouldn't want to shoot the wrong one...

I am looking for information on ammunition availability and if there are any scope mounts produced that would fit the rifle's existing attachment points.

Does it have claw scope mounts? If so, you are limited to finding second hand rings. They pop up on ebay and Gunbroker every now and then and they can bring a lot of money. Did I mention we need pictures?

Most importantly, there should be proof marks under the barrel and on the side of the receiver. Those alone allow a narrowing down of the date of manufacture to 10+-.

photos of the Mauser

Thanks for the response. Here are a few photos. I'll be without internet on a hunting trip for a few days, but will check back in when I return. Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_0140.jpg
    IMG_0140.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_0136.jpg
    IMG_0136.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0146.jpg
    IMG_0146.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 232
Very nice, Mauser 98 from pre-1939, as evident by the crown over B and crown over U on the bolt (assuming it's the original bolt).
To definitely tell you the correct chambering (8x57 I or IS) you need to take it out of the stock and get pictures of the proof marks under the barrel. This should tell if it's pre- or post 1912, and also give the barrel gauge.
You seem to be in luck with the scope mounts, they are some form of prism instead of the usual claw mounts. Much easier to adapt modern rings for.

Thank you for the response and for the information. I just returned from out of town and I will remove the barrel later today. What type of marks should I be looking for? Once I have it off, I will take some photos and upload them as well. That is good news on the scope mounts, any suggestions on a manufacturer of scope ring that may fit?

Pictures of the marks under the barrel

Here are the pictures of all the marks I found under barrel once I removed it from the stock. Please let me know if you need a better image of any of the marks, or if you need to know where specifically they are located. Thanks again for your help with this.

Attachments

• IMG_0153.jpg
    IMG_0153.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_0162.jpg
    IMG_0162.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 160
I like your camera work :).
You got a full set of marks there, even the date (only the Zella-Mehlis proof house did those). With the 12/32 date, you most certainly have the standard 8x57 IS round, so you should be able to use any of today's commercial ammunition.

Don't be so sure about the .323 bore solely by date. Some of the custom guns in Germany during that period used the older .318 bore. I'm betting that octagonal barrel isn't a filed down Gew98 barrel, especially with all those proof marks.

Slug the bore to be sure.

Jimro

Don't be so sure about the .323 bore solely by date. Some of the custom guns in Germany during that period used the older .318 bore. I'm betting that octagonal barrel isn't a filed down Gew98 barrel, especially with all those proof marks

I'm with Jimro on this, I think its probably .318. I have a MS 8X51, and it is 318. Deffenantly slug the barrel before you use it.

It's not only the age, the 7.8 mm gauge width and the 200 gr proofing bullet also match your classic 8x57 IS markings.
Now, it's always possible for a custom gun to be manufactured with the .318 barrel with unusually shallow grooves and proofed with the wrong bullet, but that's like worrying about a Springfield A3 being chambered in 30-03.
As for the 8x51, it's based on the old M88 and was never updated to the new bullet diameter.

Jeff1855, I know this is an old post but I really like the prewar german rifles like yours and own a Sempert and Krieghoff drilling that I love! How has this rifle worked out for you? I would love to see pictures of the whole rifle,I bet it's a beaut!! I have mever seen the Krieghoff montage scope mounts on a S&K rifle before! I have them on my Drilling and have seen them on other S&K combo guns. Come back and let me know how this baby shoots!! THANKS Kevin.

Krighoff Sempert Suhl Mauser

I Have the Same Mauser, although mine is a 1912 chambered in the 6.5 x 54 Kurz Mauser. It looks identical w the same scope anchor points. does anyone have any info to share on where to purchase some scope mounts that will fit directly to the existing scope mounts... Thanks John

Jim, I tried NECG. They don't carry anything for that system of bases... they did say they can convert them over to claw mounts for the meer sum of $1500 To expensive for me..I'd like to find some rings to fit those existing mounts without any mods to the bases or receiver and without changing the origionality of the rifle though.. Any other ideas?

Back