I'm looking for an M44 or 38...any suggestions?

kokopelli

I'm looking for an M44 or 38...FOUND ONE!!

Let me say what an idiot I am for passing on an M44 Mosin carbine for $90 bucks at a gun show last fall...it was marked up pretty bad though.
-Now I can't find them anywhere. Anyone have a source?
Thanks, Ron

Last edited:
http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info.php?products_id=9405&osCsid=1bd074a8691995b1a9c87a16aba39b31

A lot of people bemoan Simpson LTD's treatment of their guns, but I've had nothing but good experiences with them. This Mosin may seem a bit expensive, but you're paying to guarantee it's a nice gun, especially since it's a 38. You're in KY, which I may be confusing with TN (I often do that, I'm sorry), so you may be further away than I'm thinking you are, but you should be able to make a day trip to Galesburg to purchase the gun, and as I believe you're a neighbor state, the purchase would be allowed. I actually like Galesburg, there's a fairly decent "Irish Pub" across the street from Simpsons you could hit up. Man, I want to day trip out to Galesburg (I did th exact same thing for my Mossberg 500, but from about 45 minutes away).

Another store to check out is Pekin Gun and Sporting Goods, they generally have good prices and last time I was in, they had a TON of C&Rs, you might want to give them a call: (309) 347-6060. Beyond that: the normal internet channels.

Edit: just google mapped it, KY is where I thought.

MN-38 or MN-44 or MN-59

An other one would be is MN-59 which is a MN-91 or MN91-30 cut down to 20 1/2 inch barrel. Only exterior difference between a 59 and 38 is the barrel dia. In 1959 The sattlite countries started do this for there police.

Talk about kicking your self, about 15 years ago, I saw a Enfield in 7.62 X 63. for 30.00. Went home and converted 7.62 X 63 to what it was (30-06) Come to find out there were 50 made or converted to 30-06 and 50 to 7.62 X 51 (.308) When back the next morning and it was gone. They still had ammo in 7.62 X 63 in lower pressures, but it was gone in a week.

Woo! :D I stopped into a little gunshop that's five minutes from my house...lo and behold- they had TWO of them, M44's -there on consignment! This one looks as nice as the M38 in the pic from Simpson's. The bluing is at least 99%, the stock looks new, the rifling looks new, the action has no wear on it...it looks like it was never issued! It came with the sling, $175.00
Compared to the one I passed on for &90 bucks, this was WELL worth the extra $$$. The receiver is dated 1944, all matching numbers, even the butt-plate is numbered.
Somebody must have cleaned out their C&R safe for consignment there- he had a 91, a 303 Enfield, a garand, a 1903a3, a couple 8mm mausers and a few others I didn't recognize.

I'll get pics up asap...

Maybe the guy got swept up in the hype and sold them off to finance the latest black rifle with geegaws attached:rolleyes: or lost his job:mad: I would go back and give the Garand a close look myself, or the Mausers if they were really collectable, like WW2 vet bringbacks.

Picaroos...

000_0964.jpg
[/IMG]
000_0966.jpg
[/IMG]
000_0967.jpg
[/IMG]
000_0968.jpg
[/IMG]
000_0970.jpg
[/IMG]
000_0971.jpg