I'm just starting to look. What should I be looking for as far as an O/U ?

Hal

I like the Browning Citiori, but I really haven't looked that hard at O/U's. Any recommendations for a good O/U? A shoting/fishing buddy says Ruger Red Label is the way to go, but the Ruger's I've seen leave me flat.

Get the one that fits and feels best to you. The Citori is a fine shotgun and my choice over a Ruger but that's just one opinion. The 12 gauge Rugers always feel grossly muzzle heavy to me. Another choice would be the Beretta 686. For handling and fit I've found Beretta always better for me.

It also depends on what you intend to use the gun for. The Citoris and the Berettas have a reputation of withstanding tens of thousands of rounds on the clay fields. Ruger does not have as good a reputation and are not commonly used by target shooters.

Brownings and Berretas comprise maybe 90% of the O/Us I see at the trap range, and maybe that much for Sporting Clays also.

Next ups include the various SKBs,a few Winchester 101s, and the glamour guns like the Perazzis.

Some ranges have rental guns, and some clay gamers will let you mount and swing their pets. Try out a few and see how they feel, then go from there.

Looking for O/U

I too have been thinking about getting an O/U and have been visiting the http://www.shotgunsports site discussion board. In addition to the obvious choices, check out the Fabarms Black Lion (HK lifetime guarantee), the Verona made by another Italian company and an interesting Turkish gun--www.huglushotgunsusa

There is a guy who claims his Fabarms Black Lion is far nicer with better wood than the Beretta 686 and a few hundred cheaper.

Another guy shoots 400rnds./wk through his Huglu trap model and uses it as his #1 gun; he has a Perazzi too. He was going to get another Huglu because he liked it so much. Resale value a consideration? Can't go wrong wirh a Citori or Beretta.

O/U Selection

The advice given in the previous replies Re Beretta and Browning O/Us is sound. These guns are well made and will stand up to a lifetime of shooting fun. Another consideration is the availability of repair parts and extra barrel sets should you need them.

There are many makes of O/U guns not as popular as the B & B , but probably just as reliable and well made. SKB makes fine guns and has been around for a long time, they also make many of the O/U guns for Weatherby. Marocchi, an Italian maker, makes an especially nice line of O/U guns, including a model designed for women. They are a bit more expensive but worth the money.

Also look at previously owned guns from makers like Kemen, Renato Gamba (both are Perazzi clones and very well made) Krieghoff and even Perazzi. The guns may be used, but are designed to be rebuilt and made just as good as new.

I would suggest shooting as many guns as possible to find the one that fits and feels best. Most shooters will let you shoot their guns if you demonstrate that you are responsible and safe on the clays course. And most will be more than willing to espouse the virtues of their particular gun (be prepared for loads of BS:))

Most shooters who are into clays rarely stay with their first gun anyway, so starting out with a used gun that you can resell may be the best strategy.

Geoff Ross

Back