I'm in Love... with Hogue Grips!

Adventurer_96

I've had my Model 65 .357 for almost a year now, and I didn't enjoy shooting anything in it except for .38 WC rounds because the wood grips, while good looking, were something less than useful with a stiff round.

So, after coming into 400-500 rounds of .357, I decided I could either buy a new revolver or buy new grips. Unfortunately, I had to settle for the grips, or else no AK-47...

I shot about 75 rounds this morning after some 9mm and .45, and it was a pleasure to shoot, compared to the uncomfortable wood grip experience. Believe it or not, the grips are starting to grow on me as well from an aesthetic point of view. Maybe it's just because I think it looks like a mini Anaconda...

Who else has had an eye-opening experience with new grips?

While not an eye-opening experience, Hogue grips do make shooting a .357 mag a lot more enjoyable experience. I would definitely recommend them.

PACHMAYR

Six of my seven wheels wear Decelerators; wife's snubby has ComPacs.

With my ammo in Redhawks it was the only option.

I love my hogues also. I have them on all my 44's and 357's. I have tyring to find one for my FA 50ae but they dont make grips for Freedom Arms. I'll have to settle for Pachmyer

Nice shooting grips...but I don't use rubber on any CCW guns...clothes stick to them and they can slow you down when you need it...also, when clothes ride up they don't slide back down so printing is a big problem....great for the range though....

Hogue Monogrips on DA revolvers are the best thing I've ever used, they just didn't feel right on a SA though. The only DA I ever used 'em on that I didn't like the feel was the Ruger Redhawk.

I never have liked Hogues. For rubber grips I prefer the pachmayrs. The hogues are too thin in the backstrap for me if I'm shooting heavy loads. For concealed carry the Hogues make the grip too long. I much prefer some Kim Ahrends wood boot grips for carry.

don't shoot,

they are available in nylon which won't grab as you described. Wood also, albeit with slightly greater exterior dimensions vs. the same grip in rubber/nylon.:)

Hardwood Hogue Monogrips...

...are da bomb. My 625-4 started out with Pachmayrs from the factory. Those got replaced with a rubber Hogue Monogrip. But when I replaced the plain ol' rubber Monogrip with one in cocobolo, it turned the wallflower into the prom queen, looks-wise, and is every bit as controllable and pleasant to shoot.

When I switched from 45acp to 357mag I used the rubber Hogues unti I got a feel for the gun and then switched to wood. Doing the same now with my 629 DX. Slapping on a Hogue Square Butt Conversion as soon as I get it back from the NYPD. Wood is good, YMMV.
Ronin

I don't know about all their grips...but the revolver ones suck!

I put one on my Taurus and five seconds later I yanked it off n' slapped the original taurus 2 pc back on. I hate how they leave part of the frame exposed...of all places...why the back!?! That's where all the recoil hits you. And on top of all that, they don't even sit flush to the frame.

If I ever decide to give rubber grips a second try...they'll definately be pachmayrs.

Clipper,
I hate how they leave part of the frame exposed...of all places...why the back!?!

By not covering the backstrap the trigger reach is not changed. A significant factor for some shooters.

hogues are now my default replacement grips except for the uncle mike "boot grips" on my 642 although their new "batam" grips might cover it.

but i still aspire to eventually get sets of roy fishpaw grips

The only handgun I own that doesnt have hogues on it is my GP100. That factory grip fits my hand better than some custom grips costing upwards of $100. Closest thing to perfect in existence for me.

I would like to put in a word for the Davis BD'L rubber grips.They are different from the Hogue in two respects.First,they are solid,not "squishy",secondly they have only one finger grip,the rest can sit where they like.I didn't know about these grips until I bought a custom gun that had them fitted.Now I wouldn't even consider any other rubber grip.Just my opinion--try them out yourself if you can find them.

Back