I'm hooked...and now need some advice!

GKT

I went with a buddy to shoot his shotgun on a 16-yard...and had an absolute ball! Now I think it's a moral imperative to get a shotgun for trap/skeet.

I know there are guns that specialize in both trap and skeet...but do you have any recommendations on a good starter gun? I'm planning to get an inexpensive starter gun and work with it until I have enough experience to make an informed decision on what I like (trap vs. skeet, etc.).

Any help would be appreciated!

GKT

I haven't had any experience w/ trap guns, but I do shoot skeet. I currently use a Beretta AL390 Silver Mallard, not the cheapest semi-auto.

First if all, I would not recommend a pump. You will have a hard enough time getting the shots on target, let alone pumping the action.

Secondly, the ultimate trap and skeet 'gun will likely be an over-under. These can be very expensive, depending on quality/features/etc.

I would recommend a semi-auto (gas) shotgun that is something of the Remington 1187 series. There are many different configuratios of this shotgun. (Skeet, trap, sporting clays, hunting, whatever). Remington also makes a lefty version if you are left handed.

I remember my first time skeet shooting. Those birds felt like they were moving about 500 MpH! After a little experience, they look like they move at around 10 MpH. Skeet is a blast! Have fun!

Remington is returning the 1100 Trap gun to its product line. The 1100 has probably won more shoots than any other gun. Stay away from the 11-87, it has a bad rep among trap shooters.

The beretta AL390 is a good gun, but more common in sporting clays than trap.

The great thing about Remingtons is that you can change stocks and barrels for different games. Trapshooters like high stocks and high ribs, Skeet shooters shorter barrels and lower ribs and stocks. With the 1100 you can buy extra stocks and barrels and be ready for anything.

You might want to check out the Shotgun report website, lots of good information there.

www.shotgunreport.com

Geoff Ross

GKT, I am basically in the same boat as you. I have chosen to go with double trap as opposed to skeet though. And I know I want an o/u instead of an auto. I hope you find what you are looking for! Good luck, and let me know what you end up with and how you like it!!

Oh, and remember...even if you miss the birds, they usually break upon hitting the ground anyway -- it affords a small amount of satisfaction. :)

Hueco

Hey guys, I know how you feel. I am thinking of the same thing. Sporting clays took off big last year at my local club. I began shooting my 1300 win. but follow up shots are very hard with the pump.As i got better ( 35 out of 50), I started wanting a better gun. I own a 1100 rem. but it has a 30" full barrel. I thought of buying a rem choke barrel but I'm not convinced the 1100 is a very good clay gun.People at the trap range complain about empties flying at them upon ejection. I have tried a shell catcher but I don't like it. Also I have heard stories of reload wads not leaving the barrel, and firing a quick second shot before they noticed. (this was in sporting clays) So I would be carefull with reloads unless you loaded them yourself.Also 3" 1100's can be picky about ejecting light loads, so I would try to find an older 2 and 3/4 gun. Now i'm thinking of just buying a real o,u and ending this search. A fellow shooter suggested a Browning, but I see Winchester has out the new Supreme o,u with ported barrels,ejectors, and invector plus tubes for alot less than anybody!(about the same as a plain Red Label). Let us know what you select and how it works you may help others, including me! Good luck!!!

Calvin
"IM THE NRA"

I shoot a Mossberg 500 with the ported Accu choke barrel that I picked up new for $285 with the rifled slug barrel. Last clay league I had a 98% hit rate for the season. My skeet rate was 92% and trap 73%...well 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Can't get the hang of trap for some reason. The key is this is the same gun I take afield. If hunting is in your plans pratice with what you'll use in the field. And remember that if you do learn with one and then upgrade you may need to start over. The Feb 2000 American Rifleman has a good article on the "Pitfalls in Changing Shotguns". Best of luck, the games are great fun.

------------------
Be careful around a man with one gun,he'll know how to use it.

Thanks for taking time to give me you advice...I'll do some looking around and let you know what I decide!

Back