i'm holding a suffolk pistol license application but i have traffic violations

dbloc

Inactive
I've never been arrested or anything like that.

i'm 24 years old and clean in that respect.

but my driving record is ugly becuase of a suspension and a number of tickets. illegal u turn, speeding, insruance gap.

i should just expect not to get a license right?

i don't want to spend $200 on a sure denial of my application.

i live in commack.

i'm holding a suffolk pistol license application but...

i have traffic violations.

I've never been arrested or anything like that.

i'm 24 years old and clean in that respect.

but my driving record is ugly becuase of a suspension and a number of tickets. illegal u turn, speeding, insruance gap.

i should just expect not to get a license right?

i don't want to spend $200 on a sure denial of my application.

I'm assuming you're in NYS? Can't help you. Anywhere else something so stupidly silly wouldn't be an issue. For Christ's sake, back in Mlps MN they elected a US Congressman who had over 600 unpaid tickets including several for DAS. Good luck.

Welcome to TFL

Your best bet is to address your questions to Pistol Licensing in Yaphank. They are by far the authority on this subject. My personal opinion on this matter is that VTL (vehilce traffic law) infringements will not on their own prohibit you from getting a pistol permit. The phone number for Pistol Licensing is 631 852 6311.

Good luck

John

I received my NYS pistol license through Suffolk (NYS) last year. My wife is currently in the process of getting hers.

When I went for my interview, the police officer was very nice and we spoke a bit about arrests/records/etc. Although I have no history in this regard, it was my "no, never" that prompted the repeating of her questions and discussion. Basically, I was left with the impression that your "record" is not as important as your honesty and accuracy about it.

In other works, if you were arrested for shoplifting, it isn't a problem. If you failed to put it on your application (and continue to insist you have no arrests even through the interview) then you will definitely be denied.

Read the instructions carefully. There are some traffic related summons that are actually an arrest ("Field Appearance Ticket" I think?) and need to be reported as such on the application.

On the other hand, I have had friends tell me that a history of speeding tickets will get you denied. This, however, is anecdotal and I they cannot give me a single example of someone that has been denied.

My impression of the process in Suffolk is that if you _tell the truth_ and are not deemed a danger, then the license is pretty much automatic (sportsman/target restricted. CCW doesn't exist 'round here as far as I can tell).

Then again, I am a boy scout - no record whatsoever, no trouble and only one speeding ticket that I needed to report on my application (75 in a 55 which was unresolved at the time of my application, I was going to trial with it. The licensing officer didn't seem to care much about it, other than the fact that I listed it as required).

Keep in mind that this is only my opinion based on my own recent experience. Don't take this as informed advice.

Your best bet is to talk to an officer in the pistol licensing bureau. Almost all the folks I spoke with there are nice and informative. Tell them about your history and ask them flat out if that alone will cause a denial. I don't believe they would tell you to apply and waste the money if they have no intention of issuing you a license.

Hope this helps.

I'm assuming you're in NYS? Can't help you. Anywhere else something so stupidly silly wouldn't be an issue. For Christ's sake, back in Mlps MN they elected a US Congressman who had over 600 unpaid tickets including several for DAS. Good luck.

I agree to a degree that traffic infractions alone are a silly reason to deny a permit. However, one has to consider the history, frequency and. If a person has proven themselves to be a danger to society with a vehicle, why would we want to give them another lethal weapon to be irresponsible with?

I'm not trying to start a debate on the topic, just pointing out what is likely the reasoning behind the thinking. And that's assuming that a history of license suspensions, reckless driving and/or speeding will have any impact on whether or not they issue a permit. (Not referring to the OP, here, just talking in general).

As to public figures, well we have you beat. Forget traffic tickets! In New York City, it is impossible to get a pistol permit - they have different and more restrictive laws than the entire state.

Still, where average Joe cannot get a permit to own a handgun, Imus (the radio personality) apparently has a CARRY permit! I don't know about his driving record, but he has a history of drug and alcohol abuse. I also recall some violent behavior that made the news over the years. So a nasty drug addict, alcoholic gets a CCW in the city where Joe Clean Cut will likely get denied the ability to simply keep a pistol in his own home.

Politicians, celebrities and other public figures don't live by the same rules as the rest of us.

if its anything like VA, it should be no problem. I think I have the worst driving record DC, MD and VA area. Speeding, both reckless and not so reckless, illegal U-turns, insurance gaps....My insurance agent told me if I get one more HOV voilation I can legally be water-bordred....:D

You should be ok.

Just speaking from personal experience, I would not expect your situation to prevent you from acquiring a CCW license.

Back