I'm having more damn fun with old Gun Digests.

Lavan

I gettem off eBay and they are my preferred "potty" books.

Get back in the 50s and 60s and all the articles are about the GOLDEN age of guns.

"Ruger's NEW .44 Blackhawk!"
"S&W Adds a New Caliber," (22 Jet)

All sorts of hunting and collecting info from back before everyone needed extended mags and Picatinny rails.

Cool Cool Cool

Those $125 Pythons and SAAs were the shiznits back then.

And, oh, did you know that Winchester just came out with a FEATHERWEIGHT M-70?

And people still thought 38 Specials would protect them.

I ...highly ...recommend getting a couple of OLD Gun Digests.

Neato. :cool:

I read ,re-read,and indeed,"digested" the old Gun Digests.

So much good stuff!! John T Amber,served us well.

me too!

Yeah same here. Also, bamawife came up with a couple years of the American Rifleman from the same era, and they are fun to leaf through as well.

One of the interesting things from the gun mag era that you have to recall was the overwhelming lack of negative or even impartial coverage. Ads kept the mag alive and going negative on a particular gun was rare in the business.

One of the interesting things from the gun mag era that you have to recall was the overwhelming lack of negative or even impartial coverage. Ads kept the mag alive and going negative on a particular gun was rare in the business.
I've heard that this still goes on. :eek: Shocking, I know.

Really, well I never....

The difference is nowadays we have more people doing independent testing and write-ups on line, even in forums such as this one. Sure some will be gun company plants, paid to do reviews but those usually stick out as notable.

I'd trust a review done here by someone with 3,000 good posts more than in the latest issue of Boomsticks and Banana Clips. The gun mag writer will likely be more knowledgeable but less inclined to lay it all out.

1956- Confiscated Mosin's for $15, that in no way aid an Iron Curtain Country.

I sure would like to get one of those Johnson Rifle rebuilds for $65...

RB Boyes MK1 ATR .55 cal for $80... seems a steal...

Then Finally in March 1957 the next G.I. rifle? A 6 3/4 pound rifle made from light alloys that feed from a 500 round belt carried on the shooter's back.

(it will never work) still...
This adventure of an aircraft company into the firearms field may very well be the most important gun story you'll read this year.

Last edited:
Thanks for that link Oysterboy!

Gotta love the ads... From 1960:
Select quality British Enfield .303's for $16.95
P-38's for $42.50
Lugers for $59.85
Webley 6-shooters for $28.75

Wow.

It hurts a little less if you convert to today's dollars.

$1.00 (1960) = $8.13 (2016)

But that British Enfield .303 would be a steal at $137.81... :(

Back