presence of one or more persons, exhibit any deadly or
dangerous weapon in a rude, angry or threatening manner,
or shall have or carry such weapons upon or about his
person when intoxicated... shall be [fined or
imprisoned]; provided, however, that any person shall be
allowed to carry any of the above weapons in the places
mentioned above on securing a permit from the sheriff of
the county...

Is this saying that I can't carry a fixed blade concealed for protection unless I have a permit?

DBA-851.jpg

Whew! Where did you get that copy of the Idaho Code? It is way too old to be of any practical use.

The entire code for firearms may be found here. The specific section 3302 may be found here.

Concealed weapons are defined as: any dirk, dirk knife, bowie knife, dagger, pistol, revolver, or any other deadly or dangerous weapon. The provisions of this section shall not apply to any lawfully possessed shotgun or rifle (I.C. 18-3302(7)).

The proscription for concealed carry does affect fixed-blade knives, such as the one you show. It doesn't pertain to common "pocket knives."

Further, the prohibition on concealed carry is targeted towards carry within the confines or limits of a city (whether on your person or in a vehicle).

If you are not within the confines or limits of a city, you may legally carry concealed, on your person or within a vehicle, without a permit.

Be aware that there is an age restriction for carrying firearms. You may, at the discretion of your County Sheriff, get a CWP at the age of 18. If you are 21, there is no discretion. It is shall issue.

Do not rely upon outdated material. Idaho is very good about updating its websites. Go here to research any portion of the Idaho Codes or Constitution.

I've also found that these 'interpretations' can be left a tad open-ended to help get actors off the streets.

For example, I pretty much walk around daily with knives that border on being weapons, and the police know about it--they're my clients! However, they know me, I'm older, it's my job, I'm polite, I'm not causing trouble, etc.

A guy making trouble in a saloon carrying an identical knife might get picked up or detained simply because this knife offers law enforcement an oppurtunity to get him off of the street.

A few years ago we had a new neighbor move into our subdivision. He had just taken a job with our local police department. After they settled in a bit, I walked over to their home, introduced myself, and handed him three boxes of switchblade knives. He selected the one he wanted, and told me to return after his next pay period.

I'm not sure many of us could do that. But as I stated, it's my job and I'm polite.

It amuses me when people discuss concealed knives especially. The key word here is "concealed". The police arent going to find it unless you get searched, and if you conceal it just right then those "legal for officer safety" frisks arent going to pick it up.

What this means is that it doesnt matter if its legal or not unless you use it in a situation, in which case you would have to present the weapon to the authorities. Then again, "I panicked" is an excellent reason to leave the area of the assault (or HOPEFULLY the defense), get your legal concealable knife from home, and present that to the authorities.

Remember - the law is not as important as your life. Morality aside, you want to be alive as long as possible - that means putting yourself before the law. As long as you dont intend to be a scumbag, carry whatever you can get away with.

Kruniac said:
It amuses me when people discuss concealed knives especially. The key word here is "concealed".

You bring up a very good point. However, local laws vary. Here's how I carry a knife legally, as I have done since about 1996.

knife.jpg

Before that time, I carried a knife similar to a Buck 110 in a belt sheath. As a white collar worker, I would simply stuff the knife and sheath into a jacket pocket. All legal in Wisconsin.

Having said that, I don't think I would want to do the same in California with its "dirk and dagger" law. After all, Ernest Emerson originally designed this knife for Navy SEALs, and I fear a smart DA would blab that fact in court.

Colorado knife/weapons laws are quite interesting ...

You can carry an unconcealed fixed blade knife for "sporting" purposes, which I assume means camping or hiking in the mountains. I imagine most municipalities would not allow this.

You can carry a concealed S&W .500 magnum in your car with no CCW or anything special, as long as you are legal to own a pistol. Municipalities can't stop you.

But with or without a CCW you CAN'T carry a fixed blade knife (at least of more than 3.5"). If you are caught doing so, you can be charged with carrying a concealed weapon, even if you have a CCW. So they would ignore your .44 magnum and arrest you for the knife.

Fun ...

Grand Illusion, if you think laws are goofy in this country, consider a bizarre one in Texas.

In the Lone Star State you cannot carry a fixed blade knife over 5.5 inches.

You realize that Jim Bowie would have been arrested on his way to The Alamo...

The nice thing about Idaho's Concealed Weapons Permit is that it covers just about any weapons you care to conceal. The other nice thing is that you don't need a permit to conceal, as long as you stay out of the confines or limits of cities.

So if I wanted to conceal a fixed blade in the state of Idaho while inside the above places, I would need a CWP issued by the sherrif?

If "the above places" means cities and towns (incorporated or not), then yes, you will need a CWP. Anywhere else in the State? No.

Back