I'm being offered a Lee Enfield for $300

Wayward_Son

What should I be looking for? I have no use for the rifle, but I understand it may have historical significance for someone besides myself. I would like to turn a profit because while I do admire this old British workhorse, war surplus has no place in my stable.

I have a rudimentary knowledge of the Enfield. I don't know what I should be looking for in regards to finish of the magazine/receiver/barrel/stock, condition of the bolt, condition of the barrel/chamger/rifling, etc.

He did tell me there is some pitting in the barrel, but a quick search on Google leads me to believe that barrel pitting in Enfields is common and as long as it doesn't affect the accuracy then it should affect the value of the gun.

I have not seen the gun in person. What are your thoughts?

Judging by Gunbroker $300 is a fair price. I dont think it leaves much room for profit unless its exceptional condition. Maybe ask the same question on the C&R board.

I love enfields but am afraid I don't know much about markings and such. every factory that made them did things a little differently so they are one of the hardest rifles to really be an expert on as they were made in England, Australia, India, Canada and even in the US. I own a fazakerly english enfield number 4 and a Savage made no4, the markings on them are like night and day I'm afraid. as long as it hasn't been hcked up with a handsaw and drilled and tapped for a scope mount then it should be alright, unless it's a T model sniper in which case it's worth about 10 times what he's asking... without pictures it's impossible to tell.

Unless it's a scoped WWII sniper model or a Jungle Carbine, $300 is about what these are worth in nice condition, matching numbers, good wood, etc. WWII L-Es with 'US Property' markings are Lend-Lease, made by Savage Arms. The Canadian makes are collectable in Canada, not so much here.

Condition is everything, like location to a realtor or business. The finish should be black blue, the correct British coloring, and just about intact. Markings should be clear, and no re-paint over the old. Bores can be a bit dark, but strong, no pitting, and bolts need to be headspaces correctly and match the rifle. Wood needs to be color matched and without defect or cracks, just normal dings. Arsenal repairs are OK, but not obvious.

I agree with kilimanjaro, unless you have a unusual model $300 is about top dollar for a No4 in good condition. There are several exceptions and would need to see pic's to say more. There are LE's in my collection (30+) that are worth a large hunk of change, but they are the exception.

You might consider buying the Enfield for shooting and hunting. I have taken a couple deer with mine using the factory iron sights.

If buying for $300 and they are worth about $300, there is no profit. If you have no interest in Milsurps, there's no reaon to buy one. Take a pass and let a collector/shooter buy it.

Tiki.

Back