I'm a newbie and have a question - coyotes!

I live in North Carolina farmland and have seen several coyotes on the edges of the woods as I'm mowing my pastures. I just ordered a military shotgun scabbard to mount on my tractor so I'm prepared next time. My question is this: I'd like to use my Browning .20 ga pump with #4 buckshot with a full choke since they're going to be pretty close - 40-50 yds. This will be my first time trying to nail a coyote - used to hunt upland game birds in my home state of Michigan. Is it doable? I already have the gun and don't really want to spend the money for another.

P.S. Before y'all go thinking I'm a wimp for using a .20 ga, I am a female and I feel comfortable with this gun.

Thanks for any input/advice!

Probably work okay. My only shotgun experience of that sort was on a bobcat at about 25 yards. Full-choke 12-gauge, high-brass 7-1/2 shot. One somersault and a flop. :)

Wouldn't hurt to do some practicing to get a good feel for sight picture for 40/50 yards.

Oh I don't think you'll have to worry about #4 buck not doing its job. You'll be doing the neighborhood a favor by removing a couple of them mangy dogs. Its kind of a trade off though. You'll gain a fawn or two occasionally in the woods but loose a good mouser._:)
BTW. Welcome to the TFLF Ms.

Thanks! If I bag any, I'll post a pic! Wish me luck (I know that's what it'll take on these guys!). I also heard if you give a couple barks as he starts to turn away, he may stop and look for a few seconds and give you a better chance. Here's hoping!

40-50 yards is right on the edge of being too far. Patterns are going to be pretty thin out there. I'd use a rifle, even a 22 rimfire at 40-50 yards would be my preference over a shotgun. When calling them and at ranges of 25 yards of so a shotgun would be a good choice.

Go with your second choice. If you are thinking of getting a new gun for that purpose don't even mess with your 20. Jmr40 is right about a thin pattern.

If the shotgun has screw-in chokes, try an Xtra-full or Turkey choke. If there is a competent gunsmith nearby, the barrel can be threaded for screw-in chokes.

I wouldn't bother with a shotgun. Dang coyotes will sit and watch you and the tractor, but I haven't seen them get in range yet. I'd get a scoped Ruger American or a stainless mini-14 and put that on the tractor. Or one of the cheaper Savage offerings. The obvious caliber choice is 223. Another possible option would be something in 22 mag.

I think the consensus out there among most of you "seasoned" coyote hunters is that I "may" get a good shot off if the dog is within a short range with my shotgun, but if I go ahead and get a decent varmit rifle with a scope, I'll have all the bases covered. :rolleyes:

"Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Most any medium power rifle (.223, 7.62x39, e.g.) will do just fine. If iron sights, you're good to go if you can most of the time hit a beer can out around a hundred yards. :)

Semi-auto or bolt-action; doesn't really matter. Ol' Wily doesn't hang around for a second shot if the first one is a miss.

I don't have any idea about your budget, but the pawn shops are loaded with good used bolt-action rifles with scopes. They generally are invested about 40% to 50% of the asking price, so there's lots of room to argue over price.

None of my tractors have ever been what you might call "firearm friendly". No good place to store it, lots of things to bump with it, damaging wood, optics etc. While I have considered it before after getting into the seat just didn't like the feel. That plus it was 99.99999% tractor driving for that one or at best two shots from a moving tractor just didn't seem worth it to me. If I had a good place to put it my old Marlin .22WMR would likely get the job. If I had a really good place to put it maybe my NEF Handi Rifle in .223 for a solid kill.

Often, if you look close and have the time, you'll see the coyotes moving in pairs. Always shoot the one in back. The front one most times will run a ways and then turn to see about 'the one in back'. That's when you pop that second one.

Like I said earlier, several times I've had a couple of coyotes come into a field I was working with the tractor and just sit and watch. And I never have a rifle when they do.

Probably, if I wanted a tractor rifle, I'd prowl pawn shops and gun shows for a beater bolt action 223, and even better if it was stainless. You want a short rifle, the shorter the better. I'd put a fixed 4 power (Leupold, Vortex, Burris, Weaver) on it, with real sturdy bases. Won't rust, already beat up a bit, so no worries about getting it banged up. put it in a foam filled case for ATV's and duct tape the case to the ROP.

Thanks! I also heard if you give a couple barks as he starts to turn away, he may stop and look for a few seconds and give you a better chance. Here's hoping!

I've dropped many a coyote that stop after I gave them a quick bark, it does work.

As for what gun to use I prefer a good bolt action in 223 over the 22-250, I have both, my bolt 223 is my go to gun.

A bolt action 204 would be another good choice.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

I have serious doubts that you'll kill coyotes with a 20 ga and buckshot @40+ yards. Even a 22lr will do more good at that range. A 22 bullet through the ribcage may not kill them on the spot but they'll most likely die soon.

Yep I agree. A 20 gauge at 40 yards. It'll kill a yote but maybe after he ran for 2 miles. Get a marlin auto with a cheap Simmons 3 X 9 scope and make head shots. I also prefer a 223 over all rest calibers for your purpose. Plus it's cheap for ammo so practicing doesn't break the bank and light recoil makes pure enjoyment.
But if I only had a 20 gauge and didn't plan on buying another gun. I'd either borrow a gun from a friend or I'd take my 20 and have a blast.

Brutha, shotguns of any gauge are for "up TO 30 yards" for snapshots with buckshot like you describe, and 30 yards is even a slight stretch**. At 40-50 + yards, you need a rifle (or precision handgun or even a .357 mag long-barreled handgun or similar). Get a decent used rifle in .223 rem, .222 rem, .22 hornet, .22 K-hornet, .218 Bee, .22 Donaldson wasp, .20 Tactical, .221 fireball, .22 Zipper, .19 Calhoun hornet, .22-250, or .204 ruger...something like that. My preference for that role is a .223 rem in a lightweight rifle, where cheap and good ammo is ubiquitous, the recoil light, but the trajectory very laser-like to more than 200 yards.

**40 and even 45 yards is doable with a smoothbore when sitting in ambush for a turkey with 5 shot and an ultra-tight choke, but not for what you describe (possibly moving game, snapshot, etc). If you DO try using a 20 gauge, use Federal Flite-Control ammo or an ultra-full turkey choke with lead ammo (unless the buckshot you buy recommends a different choke). Then get closer. 20 ga is plenty good for this purpose *within its range*; that last part being key.

Last edited:
Back