I'm a little torn between a Win 61 or 62.

nightowl64

Inactive
I owned a 62 before and thought it was a great gun, I miss not having a 22 pump and wonder how the two compare with each other in shooting.

How are you going to use a .22 pump?

While I have had a complete battery of guns for a lifetime a hunting .22 rifle was never used all that much.

I used my Winchester M52B the most. I have had a Winchester M61 grooved with a good scope for a long time.

The M62 is the one with a hammer and they don't come grooved for a scope.

I would rather carry my Woodsman than bother with a iron sighted 22 sporter.

Here is a pic from the net of a M62.
pix238403681.jpg

The last rimfire I got is a CZ455 that came with a .17HMR and .22 LR barrels. I got it to get the .17HMR. It's very accurate with the .17 bbl. I never put the 22 bbl on.

Win 61 or 62 ?

Nightowl , where I come from we hunt with 22s. It is considered unsporting to
shoot squirrels with a shotgun. That aside the 61 is better choice only from the
standpoint of mechanical durability. Also lets you scope it easier. The later 61s
are grooved for tip-offs. Both these rifles are more than enough accurate to hunt
small game and plinking. They may not be what you would want if you were
shooting at Camp Perry Matches but will do what you want nicely. I own both
61s and 62s as well as several other older repeating 22s. Other than full blown
Target rifles they will hold their own against any new stuff including 10/22s.
If you are going to hunt grey squirrels in the grape vines with a 22 pistol you better bring lots of ammo or a sandwich, cause you are going to be hungry before you limit out.

The M61 Winchester pump is a neat rifle from the standpoint of workmanship or collecting however any rimfire tube magazine is not easy to unload when done.

It is easier with a single shot or a magazine gun.

Back