I'm a lanolin case lube convert!

Shadow9mm

So I had been using the hornady 1 shot aerosol which has some unpleasant possible side effects see below.

In any case I switched over to a 10 to 1 ratio of alcohol and lanolin oil. I resized some 30-06 tonight.... Wow. significant improvement over the Hornady aerosol.

Alcohol was hard to find. Drug store had 91% in a tiny spray bottle. Bix box only had 70%. Online had 99 and 99.9% but the reviews were mixed to say the least as to whether they had methanol, or were actually 99/99.9%. Also online was in the $20 and up range for 32oz.

Solution.... Everclear 190... from the liquor store... 95% alcohol guaranteed, and no harmful chemicals (other than the alcohol itself). was cheaper than the online stuff by a couple bucks too.

Hornady aerosol 1 shot case lube MSDS link, and short quote from it...
https://press.hornady.com/assets/pcthumbs/tmp/1410992898-MSDS-One-Shot-Case-Lube-Aerosol1533232027.pdf
HAZARD CLASSIFCATION:
Extremely Flammable Aerosol Category 1. Aspiration Hazard Category 1. STOT Hazard
Category 2. Toxic to Reproduction Category 2. Skin Irritant Category 2. Hazardous to
Aquatic Environment- Long Term Hazard Category 2.
SIGNAL WORD:
Danger

HAZARD STATEMENTS (H):
H222- Extremely flammable aerosol. H225- Highly flammable liquid and vapor. H304-
May be fatal if swallowed and enters airways. H315- Causes skin irritation. H336- May
cause drowsiness or dizziness. H361- Suspected of damaging fertility or the unborn child.
H373- May cause damage to organs through prolonged or repeated exposure. H411-Toxic
to aquatic life with long lasting effects

PRECAUTIONARY STATEMENTS (P):
P210- Keep away from heat/sparks/flames/hot surfaces-no smoking. P261- Avoid
breathing fume/gas/mist/vapors/spray. P273- Avoid release to the environment. P281-
Use personal protective equipment as required. P301+310- If SWALLOWED- immediately
call a POISON CENTER or doctor/physician. P331- DO NOT induce vomiting. P501-
Dispose of contents and container in accordance with local and national regulations.

I’ve heard you can use Heet (red bottle) from an auto supply store. Mix one ounce of lanolin with the contents of the bottle.

A couple of months ago I bought a 1 gallon metal can of 99% isopropyl alcohol from the neighborhood Ace Hdwe. It's labeled "fuel additive/cleaning solvent". I paid $15.99 for it. (I'm not sure whether that's a good price or not).

Red HEET + Lee case lube

Tried the red Heet + lanolin, worked ok, but same ratio of 1 2 oz tube Lee case lube in 16 oz red HEET worked much better, especially with the Lee lube not affecting gunpowder if some gets inside the case. Walmart has the red HEET in 6 packs for $12, 4 for $43.

I've posted this in the past, so I'll post it once again for the new guys:

Here is the recipe for the best damn case sizing lube there is.

You need to buy 3 things. First, you want to get pure liquid lanolin. It can be bought online on Amazon.com and looks like this: (http://www.vitaglo.com/7730.html). There are other suppliers as well, but try to get it in a 4 oz. bottle, as you will understand why later.
Liquid lanolin, which is a refined lanolin oil, is also sometimes available from health food stores and sources specializing in ingredients for cosmetics.
Next, you need to buy a 12 oz. bottle of 99 percent isopropyl alcohol. While many stores carry isopropyl alcohol in their drug/cosmetic isle, I have found few that carry the 99 percent variety that you need. Fortunately, there is an easily found product that contains 99 percent isopropyl alcohol: Iso-HEET Injector Cleaner & Fuel Line Antifreeze. Make sure it is the red bottle HEET and not the yellow bottle HEET, as that contains methanol and not isopropyl alcohol.
Lastly, you need a spray bottle. I bought mine at a Dollar General store for about 2 bucks. Now for the mixing. You need to warm both the lanolin and the HEET to enable them to mix together. But, you cannot do this over an open flame. Again, do not heat either the lanolin or the HEET over an open flame. Rather, bring a pot of water on the stove to a boil and then turn off the heat. Then, insert the bottle of lanolin and the bottle of HEET into the boiling water until both are quite hot. After removing them from the water, with a pen or magic marker, mark the lanolin bottle in increments of 1 oz. In other words, if the height to the top of the lanolin in the bottle is 4 inches, from the bottom place a mark 1 inch up, 2 inches up, and 3 inches up. Actually, it is probably better to do this prior to heating the lanolin. So now, with both the lanolin and the HEET hot, pour 1 oz. of the lanolin and the entire 12 oz. bottle of HEET into your spray bottle. Shake it up and look for an even mixing taking place. If you see separation of the two, place the spray bottle into the hot water to heat up the mixture and shake again.
To apply the lube, it’s best to place your brass into something like a 1 gallon ziplock bag, give a couple of squirts, close the bag and then shake the bag so the lube gets distributed onto all your brass. You can also spray the inside of the bag a couple times and then put the brass in prior to shaking them. After resizing the brass, you will need to remove the lube. The best way to do this is to place them in your dry tumbler, add about a tablespoon of mineral spirits/paint thinner, and then tumble them for about 20 minutes. Hope this has been helpful to you, and if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Don

Just picked up a bottle of Heet this morning 3.80 with tax, lanolin is about $2 a ounce

Lyman and Hornady 10 dollars a can

Pam cooking spray 4 dollars a can

pick your poison, they all work

Sierra Bullets used to sell 30 caliber match bullets in brown cardboard boxes of 1000 with the lanolin sizing lubricant still on them. Shot more accurate than the ones sold in green boxes.

My favorite case sizing lubricant is a 50-50% mix of STP engine treatment and Hoppe's #9.

Last edited:
Back