Illuminated Reticle, Low-Magnification Scope?

swsurgeon

I'm looking for a low-magnification variable scope (say, 1.5-5 power) with an illuminated reticle. It would be nice to have an objective lens a little larger than 20mm. Any recommendations?

Thanks very much.

Erick,

Thanks very much for the reference. I have a 3.5 X 35 mm TA11 ACOG on a Bushmaster and like it a lot. I've looked at both of the Trijicon variables. The 3-9 does not look or feel bad, but doesn't have quite the low mag/wide field I'm hoping for. The 1.5 has at most a 20mm objective and it looks and feels like it belongs on a BB gun. Perhaps I'm being ridiculous, but I just can't seem to see it on my 338.

I've posted several specific inquiries about the Trijicon variables in a few different forums. I got only one response (favorable) from someone who had the 3-9. It doesn't seem that there are many of them out there, but I can't tell whether it's because of mediocre performance or simply a lack of aggressive marketing.

Your suggestion is a good one and I appreciate it. I'll have to mull it over a bit more.

The problem with the Elcan would probably be about the same as I encountered with mounting the TA-11 ACOG on my 338. There's no easy factory mounting system. I fabricated a mount and got it to work, but the eye relief isn't great. You have to be pretty careful. Furthermore, the mount I fabricated required a little shimming to get the windage/elevation adjustments to work right. The shims prevent it from being an easy on/off mount. I contacted a custom mount maker, but it would run about $250.

While hunting elk a guy asked me "isn't that one of those assault file scopes?" I pointed to the bolt action 338 and replied "to an elk, this IS an assault rifle." At least we got a laugh out of the encounter.

what about:
tr201.gif

TR-21 1.25-4x24 Matte Finish w/ Amber Triangle BAC(1" Tube)

http://www.swfa.com/riflescopes/trijicon/trijaccupoint.html

dZ,

Thanks for the references. I'll look hard at that Leupold. I guess I haven't kept up with their scope line very well because I've never seen an illuminated low mag variable Leupold at a show or a shop.

I have handled the Trijicons. The scope in your picture is the 3-9 x 40mm, which is a little high mag for my applications. I have some reservations about the durability of the 1.25-4, but I should probably do more research because the magnification would be perfect for me. It just doesn't feel like it would stand up to a lightweight 338.

Thanks again for for your advice.

I've got the 4.5-14 LP Vari-X, but really need a handgun scope for a scout I'm building, does an IR handgun scope exist?

Last edited:
There's the Trijicon Reflex and a host of electric red dots, but I am not aware of any IR handgun scopes with magnification. Anybody know of any?

Leupold is coming out with a CQB scope with an illuminated recticle powered by an AA battery. It should be on the market in 30 days.

I got the information from a rep at Sable Co. He gave a brief description of the scope on the ar15.com forums. Once the forums are working again, I'll post the specs.

Back