Illinois: introduce someone new to guns?

jephthai

I have a question about Illinois. I am a gun-owner, and I've got some friends that have never shot a gun in their lives. I have my FOID, but they don't. I know that most dealers / gun shops here in IL won't let you handle a gun unless you have a FOID (though I'm not sure if that's actually law). Is it legal for me to take a non-FOIDed friend out to a range and let him shoot a bit under supervision?

It's my hope that the FOID is related to firearm OWNERSHIP, not necessarily use. So if I'm there, and it's okay with the range, shouldn't it be okay? I think it's an opportunity to change some points of view on the shooting sports, and possibly generate interest in the hobby. How can I do this legally?

-Jephthai-

I believe that you are allowed to bring an un-FOID'd party for instructional purposes, gotta be on their shoulder the whole time though. Range in Bloomington let me do it. And I believe one did in the Chicagoland area as well. It's been a while since I hit a range in IL though. I'm sure you could just call the range and they could tell you their policy. Some probably don't allow it, but some certainly do.

I don't know how close you are to the border but you might just want to try a range in a neighboring state. I don't know about taking your guns into another state depending on the laws but most ranges have rentals.
I grew up in Boston, Mass but now live in NH and I have introduced many of my friends from Mass to shooting at a range a couple miles over the border here in NH that allows them to shoot with just a drivers license or passport. They can also rent guns here to try them out instead of just using mine.

Whats a FOID/????

Firearm Owners IDentification card. Something like that, anyway. In order to own a firearm in the land of Lincoln, you have to have the card. It could be more evil -- they don't keep track of your purchases (any more than the 4473s maintained by the FFL) or anything. There's a background check process, you mail in a photo, they send you a card.

That said, I think it could be less evil too ;-).

-Jephthai-

Last edited:
I'm sure you could just call the range and they could tell you their policy. Some probably don't allow it, but some certainly do.

The range I go to is a very informal one. It's not like they have a storefront, rent guns, or anything like that. They're so laid-back that I'm sure they'd say it was fine.

More than finding out if the range is okay with it, I'd like to know how it works legally. I'm sure I could "get away with it", but I'd like to avoid crossing any legal boundaries if at all possible.

-Jephthai-

the two ranges I frequent - a small, single store in winthrop harbor and a bass pro shop - both allow FOID card holders to take one IL resident that doesn't hold a card onto a lane

if the big chain is ok with doing it (and has it as their official policy) then it's pretty safe to assume it's legal

if the big chain is ok with doing it (and has it as their official policy) then it's pretty safe to assume it's legal

That's probably a good point -- I hadn't considered that. Just for due diligence, I should probably call a couple ranges and see what I can find out.

But I guess the big commercial ranges wouldn't let it happen if it threatened them legally. Unless it just threatens me legally and not the range ;-).

-Jephthai-

I tried to buy some ammo in Chicago once and they wanted to see my FOID card. I told them I was visiting and had none. Then they said if I could produce a firearm for them to prove I was an owner then they'd sell ammo to me! I went to the truck and got my 45 and came back in and everything was cool, that is until he told me that I'd have to shoot all of it on their range and no I couldn't keep the brass. Weird weird weirdweirdweird.:D I haven't been back since.

The answer is in the statutes.

(430 ILCS 65/2) (from Ch. 38, par. 83‑2)
Sec. 2. Firearm Owner's Identification Card required; exceptions.
(b) The provisions of this Section regarding the possession of firearms, firearm ammunition, stun guns, and tasers do not apply to:
(15) A person who is otherwise eligible to obtain a
Firearm Owner's Identification Card under this Act and is under the direct supervision of a holder of a Firearm Owner's Identification Card who is 21 years of age or older while the person is on a firing or shooting range or is a participant in a firearms safety and training course recognized by a law enforcement agency or a national, statewide shooting sports organization.

/\ That's what I thought, but seeing as I'm doing my best to sever ties with Illinois my desire to do any reading on the issue is limited :P

The answer is in the statutes.

Thank you ISP2605 -- that's exactly what I was looking for. I've read through that law tons of times -- I must have just glazed over on that part.

That pretty much answers my question to my satisfaction!

-Jephthai-

Back