Illinois confiscates 87 guns for revoked FOID

bclark1

http://www.suntimes.com/news/24-7/939897,gunraid050808.article

Still holding comments pending further details. All I can say so far is the usual irresponsible reporting is at work. Took me a while to figure out what the crime was, as the TV news simply reported it as an "arms cache" being seized, especially noting the .50s and large amounts of ammo, neither of which are illegal in IL or Lake County as far as I know.

Took me a while to figure out what the crime was, as the TV news simply reported it as an "arms cache" being seized, especially noting the .50s and large amounts of ammo, neither of which are illegal in IL or Lake County as far as I know.

In IL, you need to have a FOID (firearm owner ID) to possess ammunition of any kind. The same goes for the guns, as soon as he lost the license he was prohibited from owning anything fun.

I'm guessing he lost it because of the battery charge, but decided to keep his guns.

I'm also pretty sure .50bmg rifles are illegal in IL. If they have stayed legal in the years since I lived there, I would be really surprised. Daley, Bladgdgodgevic, and the other big cheeses were looking to get them outlawed and I bet they were successful.

IL has a lot of terrible gun laws, but it's still the law. He's pretty screwed.

In some states you can not own certian firearms if you have a domestic battery charge against you.
Lautenburg Amendment. It's a federal law prohibiting gun possession when convicted of domestic battery.

I'm also pretty sure .50bmg rifles are illegal in IL.
.50s are still legal in IL. So are high capacity mags, hollow points, and the black rifles. IL hasn't banned anything.

Yeah I'm writing from IL with my FOID in pocket, driver's license still says it even though I've been in OH for a couple years now. Need to change that. But I meant that it took me a while because the initial reports said nothing regarding the FOID. This was the most comprehensive story as of posting; the TV news simply said a man was in custody after his evil stack of weapons were seized, including .50s and large amounts of ammo, neither of which are a problem outside of Daley's Cook (contrary to the media's opinion).

Back