Illegal hollow points?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is is unlawful to take cheap FMJ and drill a cavity into them so you have inexpensive hollow points?

Any potential issues with changing the bullet weight due to the specific powder charge made for the heavier bullet?

Is is unlawful to take cheap FMJ and drill a cavity into them so you have inexpensive hollow points?
Not in any state where hollowpoints are allowed, but certainly anywhere they're banned.
Any potential issues with changing the bullet weight due to the specific powder charge made for the heavier bullet?
None in particular. powder tends to forgive lighter bullets. Of course, your cheap hollowpoints would behave erratically and would be highly ill-advised to employ in a survival situation.

I also question why you would want to do this, but not really my business.

I think there would be more of a problem with the center of the bullet blowing out, leaving most of it in the bore and causing an obstruction.

Somebody used to make a tool to do this. They advertised it in American Rifleman in the 60s/70s I think.

Perfectly legal, but I don't think they work worth a damn.

Not illegal but not a good idea.
I could see the little .22 tool by Paco working since the .22s generally have such soft lead and the case crimp is pretty severe considering it’s size.
For most cartridges …attempting to swedge a bullet into a different shape while it is still in the cartridge is a really bad idea… unless you want to risk severe chamber increases from inadvertently sinking the bullet deeper or deforming the side if you hold it tight enough to prevent the former... So don’t bother trying to make a tool for the bigger stuff.

On the original question…
Cutting or drilling on a loaded bullet = some risk of POW! , "OUCH !", "Where’s my finger?" :D
and … you will end up with an inferior product due to the inaccuracies of drilling(even with one of the little drill guide tools they used to make for doing this). Boring the hole with a lathe would solve some of the problems but not all.
In low velocity pistol rounds, small inaccuracies in the bullet’s center of gravity wouldn’t matter much … but … there isn’t much point in having a hollow point at low velocities.
Decreasing bullet weight and keeping powder charge constant decreases chamber pressure except in very rare instances of extremely light powder charges.

If you want cheap hollow points you might want to consider reloading .

Don't think it's unlawful but i don't think it would work very well-why bother
when there sre so many good bullet designs available?

Wow. I wasn't actually going to do it. I was curious.

Seriously guys, why on earth would I attempt to make hollow points out of Blazer or WWB stuff?

I use Gold Dots, Ranger SXT's (non blackend Talons) and Pow'R'Ball for self defense rounds.

The legal question was answered by GoSlash27 in post #3. Animal covered the technical side pretty well. Since this is not the reloading forum....

Closed.

Edited to add: And with your last post CDH, you've just about admitted to trolling the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back