Illegal Handgun Sales in New Jersey Traced to a FedEx Cargo Handler!!!

LanceOregon

When Jersey City police set up a sting operation to nab some men who were illegally selling guns, they were shocked to find that the criminal responsible was Patrick Dolan, 28, a FedEx employee!!

So far, they believe that this single FedEx cargo handler stole at least 146 firearms that were being shipped by FedEx. They are now busy trying to locate where all the stolen firearms went.

Dolan boldly sold the stolen guns to drug dealers and other criminals at low income housing projects in Jersey City and Newark. His focus was on getting small handguns to sell to common criminals and drug pushers.

Dolan had escaped detection during investigations by both FedEx security and the BATF over the thefts. But it was a local Jersey City police department sting operation that managed to nail him, as he became overconfident in selling the stolen handguns on the street.

Besides local criminal charges, Dolan is now also facing Federal criminal charges as well, as the police quickly notified the BATF of their arrest.

Here is a news story all about this case:

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/topstories/index.ssf/2008/08/fedex_staffer_held_in_theft_of.html

This illustrates why it is so very important when shipping guns to not have any address on the package that will tip off that the package contains firearms.

If I'm not wrong... I think you have to declair the gun

when shipping via fedex... which means an employee can just look in the computer and see what's in the package.

You are only required to notify them if you are not shipping to a FFL licensee, so the vulnerable point is an FFL licensee shipping a gun back to the owner after repairs.

when shipping via fedex... which means an employee can just look in the computer and see what's in the package.

Surely that would not be practical for someone like this cargo handler to do, though, no? Apparently almost all of these handguns that he got were being shipped by a manufacturer to a distributor.

I must admit that I have no knowledge of how FedEx operates.

I have sent one item using FedEx that had gotten lost, and then delivered to the incorrect location... Out of any package that I ever shipped or had shipped that is the ONE they should have NOT lost. I am just glad that the person who signed for it didnt OPEN the package... Wow would that have been a mess for them... I think that the biohazard sign on the box warned them ;)

Back