I'll take the Super Blackhawk...........

Bob Wright

I think I've expressed my preference for the Super Blackhawk hereabouts before. But I also like the .45 Colt cartridge, not available as a Super Blackhawk. So, this .45 Bisley was turned into a Super Blackhawk:

Also reworked a 7 1/2" Blackhawk:

And this 4 5/8" beauty, which just passed the 10,000 round mileage marker:

Yup. Like the Super!

Bob Wright

I too like the Dragoon grip frame...

Am I crazy seeing things (entirely possible), or are those all 'regular' Blackhawk hammers?

Yes, you are seeing things, Blackhawk hammers. I much prefer the narrow spur over the beavertail hammer of the Super. The way I draw and cock the Single Action revolver, I find that the narrow spur "digs" into the flesh of my thumb for a much more positive grip.

I'm an oddball in my druthers.

And, on my .44s, with one exception:

Bob Wright

30 years ago I sent a 7.5" 45 Colt BH back to Ruger and had the Super grip frame installed on it. Seem to remember it being less than $100 and was actually offered in the back of the owners manual. Looked like a 357 Max BH except with a shorter cylinder, awesome modification!

Guv saith:

30 years ago I sent a 7.5" 45 Colt BH back to Ruger and had the Super grip frame installed on it. Seem to remember it being less than $100 and was actually offered in the back of the owners manual...............

Yep. The 7 1/2" case hardened gun was sent to Ruger for fitting the Super Blackhawk grip frame, new pair of grips, and fit a .45 ACP cylinder. I think my bill was $121.00 or so, including blueing.

Long time back!

Bob Wright

Thanks, again

I just had a SBH frame put on my 5.5 SS 45 Bisley. The 280 SAA over 10gr of Unique gave my middle "franger" fits. No MO! Where do you find blued frames? Got a 41Mag Bisley that I want to convert.

GeauxTide said:

I just had a SBH frame put on my 5.5 SS 45 Bisley. The 280 SAA over 10gr of Unique gave my middle "franger" fits. No MO! Where do you find blued frames? Got a 41Mag Bisley that I want to convert.

At times I've found blued frames (take-offs from conversions) from my gunsmith, or on the Rugerforum.com site in the classifieds. Brownell's has them, but they are in the white and require some fitting and polishing and blueing.

Bob Wright

Hmmm,

I have a 5.5" Stainless Super Blackhawk.

I've been debating adding a similar length barrel on a .45colt/.45acp Blackhawk, and changing the grip frame to a steel one, like shown here.

I did that very change on a .357Mag/9mm conversion Blackhawk, and it works well.

I like the balance of the steel gripframe, so that the gun isn't muzzle heavy.

Thanks for some cool pictures!

Bob you're one of the main reasons that I'm going to buy a Blackhawk .45 Colt. Hell, I've already got the holster for it but not the gun!! :D

Those are just gorgeous! I like the Bisley frames, but the Supers are awesome as well. I wish I had a picture of my buddy's Super that he carries hog hunting in TX. I gave it to him about twenty years ago and he hunts hard. It is so beat up, but has never let him down. We are so lucky to have Ruger single actions!

Thanks for sharing,

Matt

BOB WRIGHT: As always the pictures of Your S/A Rugers are just fantastic. And Your Personal Stories and Information are just top of the line and above reproach. I as always enjoyed them very much. And am looking forward to reading some more of Your posts in the very near future.
ken

Bob Wright those are some beautiful Revolvers you have.I don't own a Blackhawk as of now.I can see myself making a add of one to my collection in the near future! Thanks for sharing yours!:cool:

attachment.php

This is my Ruger Super Blackhawk in .45 Colt.

Back