IL - Taking possession of mystery handgun

joeranger

A friend's co-worker has a elderly mother battling cancer and they just found out the woman has a handgun in the house that nobody knew about.
I am guessing it is some cheap POS, but they don't want to touch it nor do they have a FOID card to transport it.
I would like to help, but don't want to end up with a hassle.
Is there an official protocol for this?
I am not really a handgun guy, so keeping it is not a big deal.

Examine the gun with family members present. If it's a cheap POS advise them to turn it in during the next police buy-back, but if it's decent then offer them a reasonable sum, ask them to hold it while you do the paperwork, then apply for a permit.

Law-abiding folks should never turn in any functioning weapon at a buyback. All that does is enable crowing about large numbers of guns now 'off the street', reinforcing disarmament opinion.

I am guessing it is some cheap POS, ...

I would not assume anything yet. My elderly neighbor wanted to come shooting with me to brush up on her shooting skills. What type of gun could a 74 year old woman have? It had to be an antique. She even said she had not been shooting in years.

She showed up with a Colt Python and proceeded to shoot the targets better than me.

Definitely look at it and see what it is. If it is something you are not interested in, then see if you can find a gun shop or someone who is interested in it and will remove it for them.

Can't see any legal reason you can't take possesion of the pistol as long as you have your FOID. I have stored firearms for people in the past. Co-worker is now legal, no firearm, no FOID. While in storage, research pistol and let co-worker decide or obtain own FOID.

Need a legal guy here.

Actually, I called my local police and they said it wasn't an issue if "no sale" was taking place. He said I might want to create a document for the transaction. If it is something interesting, I'll let you know.
Story seems to be that "someone" convinced her that an old woman living alone needed protection, but they are not sure who or when.
I am thinking Derringer with rhinestones;)

Definitely create a document for the transfer and keep it with the gun. You and she both need to sign it and keep originals.

That way, if you become unable to speak for yourself or anything, your family knows where the gun goes and her family can claim it as proper.

--Wag--

Back