Ignorance from the mouth of the learned ...

If this judge ever opens his mouth again, I hope it's only to change feet ....

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The River News - 1/9/99
Waikerie South Australia

Magistrate Mr Michael Frederick issued a warning to gun owners last week when he fined a local man for four firearm offences.

"Guns are an instrument of death. I defy anybody to give me one reason to have firearms in their homes," said the Magistrate.

He made the comment during fining XXXXXXX $250 for possessing a gun without
a licence and for keeping it unsecured.

Four firearms were located at XXXXXX's home, all of which were unregistered because he could not afford to renew the licence. One of which was a family heirloom. [sic -- great journalism]

The firearms will remain at the police station for six months until such
time as the defendant receives the appropriate licencing.[/quote]

Emphasis mine.

Where do they find these people?

B

Bruce...

Means-testing. There has never ever been a shortage of politically ambitious petty autocratic tyrants, at any level.
This chump is one....given your current political climate and the denial/ignoring of the recent study of the effectiveness of your gun ban....how much of a political career would this guy have left if he supported gun ownership. Because he made such a statement instead of keeping his yap shut, indicates this guy is a ladder climber. I fear you'll be seeing more of him

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

DC:

I believe you're right -- small-country town magistrates have to do something to get noticed.

Something had been puzzling me about this case -- then I woke up.

Despite the magistrate's comments, the defendant was given six months to satisfy the requirements for licensing. The usual procedure would have been forfeiture of the guns and a ban on ownership.

My conclusion? The comments were motivated purely from political correctness and a desire for publicity.

Another backwater jerk ....

B

Spartacus:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I guess that self-defense, sport shooting, hunting, and private property don't make the cut as reasons, huh?[/quote]

Unfortunately:

1. Self-defence is specifically prohibited by legislation as being a "reason" for owning a firearm.

2. Sport shooting (I presume target shooting) requires membership of an approved club for a certain amount of time, then a continuing commitment to compete, plus (in some States) your licence is endorsed "For range use only".

3. Hunting requires (written) permission from the landowner(s) where you wish to shoot, except for those States which allow shooting on Crown land (with yet another permit).

4. Private property -- as a landowner?? Yes, you can acquire a licence that way, if your property is big enough and you can show a "reason" for needing a firearm to police.

It ain't easy, mate.

B

'Crown' land. I love it. ;)

Bruce, if this guy's story is on the level, what about getting a small collection going to pay his d**n license fees? How much are we talking about here? Or, it this entire story what we would call BS?

Jeff:

Thanks for the kind offer -- but I think I didn't explain clearly.

The problem isn't money -- a licence is probably only about $30 or $40 a year.

The problem is that, under our laws, you can't have a gun just because you'd like one!

The man has to supply:

1. An acceptable (to the police) "reason" and "need" for each and every firearm. These reasons and needs are spelt out quite clearly in the legislation. If you can't meet them -- no gun. In my response to Spartacus, I listed those reasons and the requirements you need to meet to be able to satisfy those reasons.

2. Proof of "adequate" storage (generally, a steel gun cabinet).

Yes, the concept of Crown land (i.e. Govt land) is a bit weird I guess. Basically, there's no such thing as "public" land in Australia. If it's not "owned" or leased privately, it's deemed to be vested in the Crown. So you can't just go out in the Outback and shoot on the basis that "no one owns this, therefore I don't need permission"; 'cause the Govt owns it and they're not going to give you permission to shoot on it.

Cheers

Bruce

Bruce,

The private property I was referring to is the firearms. Why should I have them? Because they are mine. A reason sufficient to itself. Glad I'm not there. I fear I would be in prison or dead.

Back