ignition system

Depends on what kind of rifle you have. I am assuming you are talking in-lines. If so, some don't give you a choice but to use a 209. Sadly too many are locked into 209. Don't get me wrong, I think there is a place for 209. I keep my sidelocks on #11. You did not mention the third percussion which is a musket primer. I use to use 209 in one of my in-lines and converted to a musket. Easier to handle and less problem than a 209. I also prefer loose powder. I think that pellets and 209 primers have given us more than there share of troubles. Oh, forgot to mention that I'm kind of cheap and get more bangs for my buck with loose powder. If I were loading three 50grn. pellets with a heavy round, in the in-line, I'd go with the 209. Your call. have fun and hunt safe.
I never tell a man what to do with his wife or his money

same way you do on a pistol .. right size cap for nipple or egg shape cap with your finger and they will stay on them great. sometime filing the top of nipple a few thousand will do the trick ... this gun has douglas barrel and TC sights and my design with only 3 moving parts

chert400.jpg

CraigC
I know this will suprise you, but with a properly tuned lock, good flint, and a properly primed piece, it is just as fast as a cap. At least I can't tell the difference. Takes a good bit of experimentation and practice though.

If you keep your powder charge to the rt side of pan and not near flash hole so the FLAME can get a straight shot at the touch hole and use very little powder 1/3 or less of pan and touch hole high in pan . they are very fast.. but most people fill the pan up which for very slow ignition...hope this helps someone out

For a long time I couldn't figure out why my flintlock had such slow lock time...

An experienced guy taught me the errors of my ways...

I was using too much powder and, as I shut the frizzen, I was tipping the gun to the left, meaning that all the powder was now covering, and probably filling, the touch hole.

When the powder ignited, it had to clear all of that powder before it could set off the main charge.

Once I changed how I was charging my pan, lock times got a LOT better.

Gun Runner:

Speaking of keeping the cap on the underhammer, how about the movie gunfighters that keep a spare loaded extra cylinder on their belt. I think Clint Eastwood did one. They must use caps that screw on!!!! :D
Nice work on the pistol!!!!

Gascheck

spare cylinder should NEVER be capped when not in the gun... If you drop a capped cylinder on a hard surface or around stones there could be a problem. now I'm talking about around a bunch of people like at a match. If I'm hunting or by myself, I keep my spare capped . this is my personal view not a fact. keeping caps on my 1858 rem's use no.10 or 11 caps one will fit tight.. but since I only buy RWS 11, I take a couple of thousand off the top of nipple or replace them to make them fit tight.. on single shots I just pinch the cap into a egg shape

In Pale Rider Eastwood's character had cartridge conversion revolvers.

IIRC he had both a converted Remington .44 Army revolver and a converted Remington pocket revolver.

Back