If You HAD To Have a USP Compact

Mike H

Guys,

I constantly wrestle with the caliber issue, but only in relation to one gun. If I had to have a P239 it would be in 9mm, I've found it just seems to suit the gun, ditto the .40 S&W for the Cougar, ditto the .45 for a Glock compact (not that I'd buy one of course :) )

But the USPc has me beat. I've heard that it is too severe in .40 and much more pleasant in .45, I've shot the .357 Sig and found it too have far too much blast to be practical, quite superb as that combination otherwise is, the 9mm is superb and is specifically engineered for +P+ loads. I guess of all of them I would lean towards the .40 S&W, but is it such a handful compared to the 9mm. Any comments appreciated.

Regards,

Mike H

Mike,
I own several handguns; colt, para ordnance, sig, walther, ect..and my favorite is my h&k .40 compact. its never missed a beat and shoots great with very little recoil.

I don't know, I shot all 3 USP 45's last week, (standard, compact, and tactical). My favorite was the standard, maybe if I used the tactical I could get used to that sight. Anyway, the compact has no appeal for me. It's still pretty big, so maybe not a great choice for a ccw, so why give up the extra capacity or barrel of the full-size? But if you gotta have one, it felt similar in recoil to the full-size .45. Oh, the compact was brand new, supposedly with recoil reduction, the others were a few years old, but I assume they had it too.

Go 9mm. I did. Why, you ask?

The 9mm is the only USP compact which still has hi-cap mags available for it (13 rounders; yes, they exist). I'd normally have gone for the .40, but they never made any pre-ban hi-caps for it.

Of the compact HKs I would get the 45. Though as already mentioned it is still a bit bulky for concealing- compared to other 45s out there.

I have shot all the H&K USPc models and the 40 IS my favorite. The recoil IS a bit sharp and yes the weapon IS a bit harder to shoot FAST, but a good isosolese stance and tight grip will tame it.

It is the most reliable weapon I have ever owned with a very potent cartridge.

Ben

I've got the USPc in .45, and it is accurate, reliable and a 'soft' shooter as .45's go. Although it has more or less the same sillohuette as my 228, it is a bit bulky for a 'compact' (then again, so is the Cougar), but it feels realy good in my hand. Another plus is that it is rated for +P. FWIW, I also want one in 9mm, guess I just like H&K compacts. M2

I prefer, and own, the 9mm for a few reasons.

I like the fact that I can buy cheap military surplus ammo for practice as well as load a good +P+ round for my CCW. I do not believ the .40 much, if any, advantage when compared to a +P+ 9mm load.

I also like the quick control follow-up shots that are easily done with the 9mm.

CMOS

I will have to go with the majority on this one. I absolutely love my 40c. In the thousands of rounds I put through it, I have never once had any jam, misfead, stoppage, or malfunction of any kind. With its size and concealability, it couldn't be more accurate and easy to handle. My next one will be the 45c.

Semper Fi-
JJC

In my short experience with the .45c I cannot reccomend it. I hurt my hand to fire and I could not grip it in such a way as to hit the target with accuracy. I just plain old HATED it. Just my expericence

I previously owned a USP Compact in 45 (why I got rid of it has no bearing on your question). It fit my hand well, shot accurately, and had the nice pushback-type recoil a 45 acp gives. I wish I still had it.

That said, my personal preference would be a Compact in 45, followed by one in 9mm if I could have both. I agree with some of the other people posting that the gun is still a bit large for a ccw. Call it a decent ccw for colder weather when your're dressed with heavier clothing and a jacket. For warmer weather, IMO it's too large.

I have a USP 9mm fullsize, USP 45 compact, and a Glock22 in 40S&W.

Both the USP's fit me perfectly and though the compact is large I've not had any problem concealing either it or the fullsize. I shoot better with the 9mm but tend to carry the 45 all the time, as most situations where you'll need it you'll be fairly close up and I'd rather hit once with the 45 than the 9mm.

Though not what you were asking about, my most recent addition has been the g22 and I love it.... my first glock and it's near perfection for me, though I feel safer with the USP's - I'm just not used to cocked and locked without a manual safety (or a decocker.)

If the USP is as good in 40S&W as the glock then I'd say go for it.

I have never experienced levels of recoil in a USP40C that would cause me to pass on it. But, because there is almost NO noticeable difference in size between the .40 and .45 compact, better accuracy in .45, and with less recoil in .45, I would have to say that the USP45Compact would be my vote for best caliber in a USPCompact.

Now, since I already own a USP45, I would probably choose the USP40Compact for me personally. If I didn't already have the full size, I believe I'd feel differently.

Great gun, no matter what the caliber!

Back